Metalfinds.com

MetalFinds

Afternoon...

While I am new to the hobby of metal detecting in general, I would love for anyone interested in mapping their finds to check out my site. While it's still in beta and I am hoping to get feedback from the community on how to improve it in general, it is fully functional.

The site will allow you to map your finds, allow others to connect with you and see your finds. It even supports the GPS built-in to smart phone nowadays, so you can add finds from the field as you find them and it will put them exactly where you found them.

Hopefully this will be useful to someone out there. I thought it would be extremely useful for newbies like myself to see where people are searching and making finds. Hoping it will also make it easier to find and connect with local people also interested in the hobby.

Come check it out at http://www.metalfinds.com.

Thanks!
Evan

Afternoon...

While I am new to the hobby of metal detecting in general, I would love for anyone interested in mapping their finds to check out my site. While it's still in beta and I am hoping to get feedback from the community on how to improve it in general, it is fully functional.

The site will allow you to map your finds, allow others to connect with you and see your finds. It even supports the GPS built-in to smart phone nowadays, so you can add finds from the field as you find them and it will put them exactly where you found them.

Hopefully this will be useful to someone out there. I thought it would be extremely useful for newbies like myself to see where people are searching and making finds. Hoping it will also make it easier to find and connect with local people also interested in the hobby.

Come check it out at http://www.metalfinds.com.

Thanks!
Evan

You could be in for a rough ride here Evan, so hold on tight! Most hobbyists, do not want people to follow them to their "honey holes," or areas that in some cases, have taken months and years to research and sample.

Best of luck, but not for me.

Interesting...

So what if you could use the site to keep track and map your finds but you could make them private so only you could see them? Is that something that would be useful?

I'd really love to get some feedback on what types of features you think you would use in a site like mine.

Thanks!

Interesting...

So what if you could use the site to keep track and map your finds but you could make them private so only you could see them? Is that something that would be useful?

I'd really love to get some feedback on what types of features you think you would use in a site like mine.

Thanks!

Nope. Not interested because it's your site and you could see all the "private" spots and if you choose to share them via a facebook page or what have you.

Fair enough, is there anything that would make you feel more at ease with it being private? I understand the desire to keep things private, but I also suspect that seeing your finds mapped would something you might find useful. Are you not interested in that feature either or is it just the security that you are concerned with?

Not interested, but that's just me as I'm sure others are also.

I keep a logbook of places, finds etc.... The old fashioned way works for me because I'm old skool is all.

Peace

No problem, I understand completely. Thanks for your input. Telling my why you don't want to use the site is very helpful too.

Maybe you'll at least bookmark it and take a look from time to time even if you don't want to log your own finds.

Becoming a member will allow you to comment on others finds and I can assure you I won't be sharing any information with anyone :)

Thanks again.

Yeah, I understand that. I guess the concept is not so much to give away secrets as a new way to connect with other detectorists and allow them to share find if they choose. Assuming some people adopt the site, it will be a good place to find other local people (in a social network (Facebook, Twitter, etc...) sort of way.

The object is not to steal anyones honey holes, it's just to allow people to keep track of their own finds on a map and let others connect and see what's being found throughout the world.

Thank you for the input. If you have any ideas that might help ease the security concerns, I'd love yo hear them.

If you live near me in PA I would love to hunt with you. I'll share my sites and even detectors with friends. But not over the internet.

i'd love ta see everyones finds and esp the exact location where they were found.....i just won't be posting my results on there :lol:

The location is only as exact as you want it to be. You should give it a try, you never know, you might find it useful.

I dont like to share my finds location with someone else I dont know. I keeps locations of my finds to myself. I am more careful with other metal detectorists I dont know. I generally dont post locations of my finds on this forum. Thanks anyway for informing me about this site.

FYI, since allowing other people to view your finds is a concern for some of you, I have added a feature that will give you the ability to make each find public or private. This way you can still keep your finds in one place, all mapped but no one will be able to see the ones you mark private but you.

Hope this eases some concerns.

Back
Top Bottom