Etrac/CTX hint- Older homes deserve to be hunted using higher manual sensitivity at some point.

tnsharpshooter

Supporter
Forum Supporter
If I rolled onto a 1800s home site and spent a couple hours and nothing older coin wise turned up, it’s time for me to turn the detector up. Likely the site has been hunted before.
Fact- shallower coins can be gotten with faster sweeps using Etrac and CTX. And gotten with loads of other models detectors too, even by folks with not so great skill detecting wise.
The deeper stuff requires more careful sweeps with higher manual sensitivty.

Yeah I could roll into a site (Virgin or more virgin) and run auto plus 3 sens And if there dig mercs galore.

Yeah the first 8” are more or less like shooting fish out of a barrel with Etrac and CTX, even in auto plus 3 sensitivty.
The deeper stuff and the more mask stuff needs far greater precision.
Hence slower hunting. Hence finds pouch won’t be monster sized when one leaves.

I have been over coins buried undisturbed and auto plus 3 was either a whimper or nothing I would think about digging- compared to higher manual sensitivty.
So when you are in those older sites.
Give this a try.
One seated coin equals how many mercs??
Depends on the individual.
Different strokes for different folks.

If I would have based my coming back to a site on what I found in such site on my first outing(few finds or unworthy finds) , I would have cheated myself out of some NICE finds- found later.
So don’t be lured into thinking an old site has no good finds cause you find little on your first outing.

Cheers and happy detecting.
I detected today in a old site.
Found a few. Nothing earth shattering.
Will I go back ?
You bet.
I practice what I preach !!

Btw, why did Minelab give user ability to run manual sensitivity, if auto sensitivty can match manual sensivity depth?

Last edited:
Good post Tnss...Manual sensitivity is an often overlooked ETrac benefit especially if you're hunting an old homesite with little or no EMI issues.

CRANK IT UP!! and listen close but I've also found that when you're going for depth at some point the screen is not accurate so I use TTF and listen for and dig the highs no matter how faint.

A Detech 13" coil along with your suggestion will also make a difference.:D

Last edited:
Great post David! Exactly my findings as well with my Ctx... In well hunted places Manual sens. is a must!

More tilted coins. They obviously are usually tougher to detect, don’t have to be that deep either. Higher manual Sens may nab them. Sure iron will false more.
Get use to it and me able to recognize it. Etrac and CTX do talk to a person. Don’t forget about ground coin process use either with CTX- Less filtering. Can help in higher mineral soil too. Be sure to keep ferrous disc open down to line 27 though. Ferrous number will run around moreso vs ferrous coin. This additional filtering I think is what drives the more consistent ferrous number using ferrous coin process, close to 12 many times.

If Inwent to an 1800s home site and found a lot of coins using auto plus 3 sens.
Would I call it a dead site and never come back. Shucks no, Imwould eventually using higher manual sensitivty. And sure would be watching how deep the coins i found using auto plus 3 sens. Mercs at 6-7” deep might mean barbers at 8” deep and seated at 8-10” deep.
One never knows. The only way to have an idea is get in there and try.

You can look at posts from 10 years ago about this subject. It was discussed at length.

Back
Top Bottom