my other hobby

RelicHound

Forum Supporter
one of my other hobbies is fishing,i use to be obsessed with fishing for big catfish using gear most use for shark fishing and tossing baits that weighed up to and over 3# but since my addiction for diggin in the dirt started my fishin has been cut by 99% and before that my obsession was traditional archery....but i think metal detecting is something ill stick with:lol:

Attachments

• 50#BLUE.JPG
    50#BLUE.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 281
  • april07blue.JPG
    april07blue.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 289
  • P4210063.JPG
    P4210063.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 273
  • Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 276
thanks for the reply CS, actually big cats like that go back in the water,they are so full of toxins there not safe to eat. the ones that are really good eating are the flathead catfish under 10 lbs,the meat is real white and flaky and they fry very well unlike channel cats that tend to be a bit slimy when ya fry em...now im hungry for some fish. :yes:

Wow, those are some phenomenal cats! Did you ever try noodling?

I know what you mean about switching hobbies. I've recently gone through 3-D graphics (raytracing) and R/C helicopters. I've done allot of flats fishing in the past too, over in Mosquito Lagoon, going for redfish, snook and trout.

I seem to get bored after a while with any hobby, but not MDing, so far. It's like fishing, but you can just go right out and do it!

yeah i tried noodling years ago...that stuff is crazy! the first time i went i got my finger broke and it looked like my forearms where drug across a belt sander. i get board quick as well with hobbies but detecting i so much more rewarding than my past hobbies. i quit hunting due to the morons in the woods and slowed down on fishing due to the same reason. my dad use to take me detecting with him every now and again all through my childhood and i was always fascinated with it but never took it up as a hobby until he found a gold coin{his first of 2} but ive come to realize i may never find one...but its fun to dream.

Awesome RH......Ya know as big as those cats are....you better run your detector over them...they could have swallowed a gold brick....geeezzzz nice fishing!

MaxBaer

Did you hear the story about the divers that were diving below Kentucky Lake Dam? They came up out of the water shaking and said they would never go back down there again.

Why? They replied that the catfish were bigger than they were!!!

Did you hear the story about the divers that were diving below Kentucky Lake Dam? They came up out of the water shaking and said they would never go back down there again.

Carol... This story has been passed down from generation to generation and every lake that has a dam has the same story... This story exactly has been told to me since I was 5 years old, just like all fisherman... I honestly wanted to send this very subject to Mythbusters to see if they'd check it out for sure... There are some bigguns out there though, but It is amazing that this story has made it's way through every lake in N. America...

I heard that they came up from below the dam and said there were huge cats inside an old car. When asked why they didn't get one they said everytime they tried to they rolled up the windows on them :) Steve in so az

Here's a friend's cat from Roosevelt Lake, Az- great eating - I, also, gave up fishing for detecting all the time -

catfish.jpg

That's some big fish! I heard the same story when I was a little kid. Divers went down to inspect the dam. Must have been WWII vets. Said there were cats as big as a jeep. Too scared to go back down. RH ,wouldn't any catfish (bottom feeders) be too toxic to eat if one is?

That's some big fish! I heard the same story when I was a little kid. Divers went down to inspect the dam. Must have been WWII vets. Said there were cats as big as a jeep. Too scared to go back down. RH ,wouldn't any catfish (bottom feeders) be too toxic to eat if one is?

well not really,the longer a fish is exposed to contaminated water the more they will have absorbed{big old fish} and can cause a person who eats that fish problems on down the road if enough is consumed but even fish in "bad" water{full of pcbs and what not} is safe for the average person as long as your not eating them all the time. personally i dont keep any fish over 10lbs since the bigger one produce more eggs every year and there good genes will be passed on to there fry which meens my daughter will have a chance to catch trophy cats when she is my age.

Relic: I guess we are all excessive compulsive personalities when it comes to hobbies. I go all out or nothing. Hunting, fishing, detecting and motor cyles are my past and present obsessions.

Growing up near the Santee Cooper system in SC, we fished for those giant cats all the time. I haven't been much of a fisherman in adulthood but I gone through the hobby swap that a lot are talking about - astronomy, photography, geocaching. Metal detecting is the only one that has stuck so far, I think it probably defines me the best.

Relic: I guess we are all excessive compulsive personalities when it comes to hobbies. I go all out or nothing. Hunting, fishing, detecting and motor cyles are my past and present obsessions.

thats for sure. ive always been the type of person who gives 110% on anything i do{should say like doing} and get a bit "obsessed" with it all. i still do all my hobbies but as my hobby list grows things get done alot less. ive just got back into shooting long range rifles but thats one of them hobbies that gets expensive quick and i can only do when the wallet allows.

Those are some decent size cat to say the least... you ever hear about those monsters taht can eat small children? haha.

Now... if you caught those noodling, I'd be super impressed. Great catches though!

The same story has been told about the fish around John H Kerr dam in Virginia, but I have personally only seen them as long as 5 feet!

As a diver I have been down to several dams and have seen some that are big.But they dont move around much.Also underwater objects are magified by 25 percent.I have seen some blues that went over 125lbs that were caught on trot lines. But the huge school bus cats are a myth

The Mekong Catfish (That V country in SE Asia) and another one in the Amazon have been known to swallow small children...(and crash mding sites)

I have never seen these monster catfish.. although I have heard the stories. We used to catch the 10-12 inchers and fry them up in batter.. mmmmm mmmm goooooood..... another type we caught in the northeast was Bullheads, probably a cousin of the catfish. RickO

Back
Top Bottom