What do you put your nice coins in when digging?

k2gleaner

Elite Member
Just curious. Most of what I find is junk anyway, but if I do find a coin, I just it in my pants pocket instead of my pouch where my iron and tin goes. I noticed the Hoover Boys on youtube are putting their super-super-nice stuff in a little plastic tackle box with foam cut out to stick coins between.

d28f26c6fc7cb1dc598423395c2d38a2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

when or if i find a silver coin it goes in a pants pocket by itself. The same with silver rings. I seldom get more than one silver a trip. My pouch has a zippered pouch I use as well for decent finds. My car is normally fairly close I have had a couple of finds I didn't want banged up that went to the car. A gold coin and I'm holding on to it until I get home.

I have a couple of pockets in my pants I use for coins, tokens, buttons etc. The small pocket closest to my waist takes the silver, rings, wheaties, Buff & V nickels etc etc. This pocket is hard to see, I have a similar one on my left leg that I carry my small cell phone in. The larger "wallet or keys" size outer pocket takes all my copper pennies and clad, along with small junk like pull tabs, small can slaw etc etc.

IF anyone every questions me and what I've found in the curb strip, I show them the large outer pocket finds. IF anyone ever changes their mind about me detecting their yard and wants to confiscate the finds as "their property" I show them what is in my outer pocket. The small inner pocket that is hard to see is never shown nor mentioned in those situations.

If I do find a rare or very nice coin, I "foo-foo" it with some Hoover Boys spray water, wrap it in clean Kleenex, and put it in the inner pocket and/or take it to my car for safekeeping.

I keep this small salt shaker in my pouch for silver coins, sterling jewelry or any old copper that I dig. The slit in the top makes it easy to drop a coin into it. If it's a ring I have to unscrew the cap.

Attachments

• IMG_0578.JPG
    IMG_0578.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 367
Packaging of a photo film roll. Kept a bunch of them when digital came.
Alternatives: Chewing gum jar. Mentos jar. Pills jar...

film.jpg
Mentos-chewing-gum-breeze-mint-potje-100-stuks.jpg

Lure case and foam is great. If you don't want to spend any money, a pill jar (plastic prescription medication tube/container, with the label removed) filled with cotton balls works well. I used this for a long time, before making the massive investment of $1 for a lure (ish) case/container at the dollar store, and cut found foam to fit.

Someday I'll get a proper/nice lure case like pictured in a reply above.

I noticed the Hoover Boys on youtube are putting their super-super-nice stuff in a little plastic tackle box with foam cut out to stick coins between.

I made one of these and it works great. The box was like $2 and then I filled the spaces with segments of sponge that I cut to fix. Everything stays put and doesn't slide around and I don't have to worry about any good finds getting scratched up.

Closing in on 500 silver coins and only one that I was worried about. Scratching that 44 Merc isn’t a concern, really. Scratching that 1879-O Morgan might be...

i carry a small plastic bucket with a nylon strap for a handle. I covered it with gorilla tape to make it last the season. All junk ,relics and clad goes in the bucket to be sorted out later. Any silver, old nickels or good jewelry goes in my left pants pocket. Wheaties and the occasional clad coin will go in my right pocket. If anyone wants to see what I've found, they see the wheaties and the clad/junk bucket.

I just use that standard Garrett bag and put all of my coins in the smaller "goodies" pocket. I don't clean them in the field. I guess the dirt cushions them a bit.

Last edited:
...IF anyone ever questions me and what I've found in the curb strip, I show them the large outer pocket finds. IF anyone ever changes their mind about me detecting their yard and wants to confiscate the finds as "their property" I show them what is in my outer pocket. The small inner pocket that is hard to see is never shown nor mentioned in those situations...

I've thought about this. I have been wearing tall hunting/rubber boots and thought about dropping any special coin in there if needed...

If I do find a rare or very nice coin, I "foo-foo" it with some Hoover Boys spray water...

That IS just water, right?

I use ice breakers breath mint containers. They are compact and have round edges that fit perfect in your pocket.
Ive been meaning to toss in a little felt or foam so coins dont slide around.

I just use that standard Garrett bag and put all of my coins in the smaller "goodies" pocket. I don't clean them in the field. I guess the dirt cushions them a bit.

Same here. When I dig something nice I typically am not digging a lot of coins so there isn't much to scratch. When I get a lot of coins it's typically because I'm digging clad. I suppose if I had the smaller "goodies" pocket full of clad I'd put a nice coin somewhere else.... but I haven't had that happen. :cool:

Prescription pill containers - I put five or six cotton balls in there. The cotton balls are put between each coin.

Back
Top Bottom