A golden reminder to always dig those mid tones!

Fantastic find.....….reminds me of an old Twilight Zone episode where the girl wants to return a gold thimble she bought for her mother because it had a scratch in it.....

OH MAN ! Can you imagine seeing something like that in the hole staring back at you. Wow your buddy is one lucky guy. Probably the only one we will ever see. Thanks for sharing Jeff. Good luck Mark

never seen or heard of a golden thimble, it is absolutely beautiful. Probably has to be 14k due to higher quality being softer, would seem even 14k would show needle damage if used much.

Thanks for the great comments everyone, it was fun to read each and every one! My buddy Danny is very happy with this find, and this is a site he researched and found, so he absolutely earned it. He goes out there and finds pistareens and Spanish silver, when I go, I find all the clad coins and modern silver :laughing: I literally got a 1923 merc out there last hunt and 3 clad quarters the hunt before it :laughing: its all good, my time will come, not this year though. Good luck out there everyone!

Attachments

• 1127191115_Film4.jpg
    1127191115_Film4.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 61
I agree. Look at the footer below in all my reactions and which i have for a long time now. That's my detecting law. Dig less, find less. Dig much, find much.

Hey everyone, looks like we will be getting plowable snow tomorrow and aside from a few coppers here, and a few silvers there, I haven't really hunted much since my last post. A friend of mine had found what he believed to be a solid gold thimble in a farm field we have dug coins/relics dating back to the mid 1600's. He asked me to take it home with me and give it an acid test. Which I gladly accepted, as I wanted to take pics and show the forum this beautiful piece of history. Looks Victorian to me, but the acid tests show it is 14K gold! No makers marks unfortunately, and it was cracked and repaired at one point in time. It is a size 8. Anyone have any ideas on age? I might have to add this to my sterling thimble thread even though its gold. Never seen a solid gold thimble before. It shot out a solid 48 signal on the AT gold. A signal most would probably walk right over in a trashy ploughed farm field. I have dug probably 100 pull tabs and pieces of aluminum since :laughing: you just never know out there folks, hope you all had a great thanksgiving, and have a merry Christmas this year!

Celler,,

I'm always curious why people scratch so much gold off, when the test will work just as fine with a line or two, underneath the entire drop of acid. Is there a reason you scratch so much?

And... This by far is probably the COOLEST find I've seen all year. Didn't even know golden thimbles were out there. Congrats on such an amazing piece!

Skippy

Wow! That is an amazing piece of history that your friend dug, Jeff! Hope you both find more goodies from that site. :mder:

Celler,,

I'm always curious why people scratch so much gold off, when the test will work just as fine with a line or two, underneath the entire drop of acid. Is there a reason you scratch so much?

And... This by far is probably the COOLEST find I've seen all year. Didn't even know golden thimbles were out there. Congrats on such an amazing piece!

Skippy

Thanks Skippy, the thimble is stunning! As for the scratches, inexperience is probably the biggest reason :laughing: I dont find all that much gold unfortunately. I suppose I could have made one scratch and put all 3 drops on the one scratch, or cover the entire tiny scratch like you suggested. I never really thought about it, and figured the amount if gold loss would be so little, it wouldnt really matter. But with a piece like This, I suppose the smaller the affected test area, the better. This will be a constant reminder for future tests though, thanks for pointing that out!

Back
Top Bottom