A new park... for me anyway

jimther

Elite Member
There's an older park near me that I've never tried, since moving to this city 17 years ago. I just checked Historical Aerials and it was a park as far back as 1938, but not sure when it was created or what was there before. Some older map research is in order.

There is one large ball field in the lower section and a huge kids' play area in the upper section. Starting in 1971 and on the earlier Historical Aerials for this park, I see a smaller ball field, along the outfield foul line, in right field, that doesn't exist today and the smaller ball field goes all the way back to 1938 (and perhaps before). Worth checking on my next outing there.

I tried my luck there last Friday for about 3 1/2 hours. The first two hours was actually spent detecting along a wide grassy strip OUTSIDE the left field fence and near a sidewalk. So, I've detected INSIDE the actual park only 1.5 hours and have covered less that one fiftieth of the park area. My coin total was 50 and there was no silver coin among those. Silver ones would be pretty deep, as I was finding modern clad, even State Quarters at 4" deep.

I did get a STERLING religious medal in the grassy strip outside the left field fence. AND, I got my first ever Canadian $2 "Toonie" coin on U.S. soil. The pictures show it still caked with soil and have not cleaned off anything yet except the Sterling medal.

All in all, a nice prospect for future, quick "Clad Stabbing" jaunts if I don't have the time to travel further to better sites. Based on the age of the park, I still have expectations that it will produce a silver coin or three.

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_2314.jpg
    IMG_2314.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 497
  • IMG_2320-001.jpg
    IMG_2320-001.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 427
  • IMG_2315-001.jpg
    IMG_2315-001.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 421
  • IMG_2312.jpg
    IMG_2312.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 396
  • IMG_2322-001.jpg
    IMG_2322-001.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 414
  • IMG_2323.jpg
    IMG_2323.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 406
Older than I thought

Just searched some older maps for the area of the park mentioned in the original post. The most useful map site for this was https://www.wardmaps.com/

It appears the park existed at least as far back as 1900, and it doubled in size to it's present acreage. The other part that was not a park, but immediately adjacent to it was a large private lot with a house and two outbuildings and the owner's name (Margaret Fxxxxx) on that lot is the present name of the park. She must have donated her property to the city and it became the upper portion of the park. Gotta be some Seated, Barber and early 20th century coins there.

Jim

I really love the Pictures Jim !!

checked out the referenced Map site.. Unfortunately Oregon doesn't have nearly the age of your area so all I got was State Atlas style maps.. but still a really cool site.

Congrats on the research and finding a gem of a site.

I really love the Pictures Jim !!

checked out the referenced Map site.. Unfortunately Oregon doesn't have nearly the age of your area so all I got was State Atlas style maps.. but still a really cool site.

Congrats on the research and finding a gem of a site.

Congrats on your excellent hunt , commentary and great pictures .

Good luck to pull some silver from there !

Thanks everyone. I also found a photo from probably the 1950's, showing kids in the snow with sleds. It's quite an incline from the upper section of the park to the lower, ball field area. sledding hills can be productive. I wonder how many Boston detectorists have done this park in the 60's 70's and 80's when silver finds were an every day happening.

Will post again after subsequent visits. I'd love to shave off 6 inches of topsoil at this place to get my XLT's coil closer to the older stuff.

Jim

Don't you wish the US minted and used $2 coins on a regular basis? We'd all have a lot more clad to cash in every year haha.

Don't you wish the US minted and used $2 coins on a regular basis? We'd all have a lot more clad to cash in every year haha.

Dream on... Unlike Canada, who REPLACED their $1 and $2 paper notes with coins (Loonies & Toonies), the U.S. Government kept printing their paper notes after introducing the various $1 coins. So...guess what ?! Our dollar coins don't really circulate so much; they seem to just be something different for people to COLLECT, but not carry and spend. So... what's not in people's pockets, doesn't get dropped and lost [for folks like you and me to harvest with our detectors].

And don't even get me started on our stupid Zincolns !

Jim congrats on the sterling and a great outing. Its always nice to have a close by go to spot. There should be silver lurking in there somewhere. Good luck Mark

Jim, you have been busy this year, congrats on some great finds! I would absolutely return, good luck out there!

Thanks Jeff... I like your new Avatar. That ring is a beauty !

Jim congrats on the sterling and a great outing. Its always nice to have a close by go to spot. There should be silver lurking in there somewhere. Good luck Mark

Thanks Mark. This park will be a nice, close-by spot for me when I don't have the time to travel to other sites. I may just concentrate on that sledding hill for awhile, as that is the only area I've gotten silver coins so far. Still ton's of clad in the flat areas. Maybe a few Barber's in my future there ???

Back
Top Bottom