• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Equinox upgrade is it good?

Judging by what I read on the forums some like the update. Some dislike the update. Some see no difference. And some think there is more to it than there is.

Update is fine. Appreciate Minelab supporting the Equinox.
For me, I did not notice a significant difference - so far.

I updated mine.. I haven't been able to try it yet.. ready to try it when my pain eases up Thanks ML..

I don't get the obsession with the VDI of nickels and pull tabs. I really don't care about either of them but since gold rings can hit anywhere in the same range you just have to dig it all. Thank god I am strictly a relic hunter on colonial sites and dig any repeatable signal.

I have found over 150 nickels in one park with the Equinox 800.

Over 90% of my nickels have read 12. The number 13 is usually a pulltab or piece of a can.

So I have noticed a post or two from you before about the Nox being a (US) nickel killer, and I tend to agree with that.
But I wonder if that is partially due to the mode being used.
I'm using Park 2 a lot. Is that the mode you used finding those 150 nickels?

So here (modern) nickels are a solid 13. Not a 14, and some at 12/13. I don't think any of that has changed since the update, but I will now pay more attention.
The update resolved my issue of hitting large silver on edge.

QUOTE=slider66;3004766]It’s worth it
fccdb6ee039668c9bf1cb44402766303.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

That ring on the left is a real beauty. Thanks for sharing that.

I never worried about the ID of Nickels. I never found a nickel worth the fuss. Buffs, V's, Shields? Found them all. Just not exciting to me. On a beach they are a good sign that there are better targets waiting to be detected, but I never would concern myself with a VDI number. The Sovereign 180 meter is the best ID of Nickels by the way.

I used to find many more nickels with the factory SW after I first got it. It was fairly predictable when a 12-13 VDI hit the screen. I honestly may have already begun to disc out VDIs below 21, because nickel signals were starting to only give up beavertails and can slaw, but I definitely run with only 19 VDI and up now.

I have to agree that low conductor VDI accuracy has decayed with the SW update. It doesn't really bother me much, since I am mainly looking for wheats to silver, coins. All of those irritating tabs and can slaw just kills my desire to want a nickel, unless it's an established, old spot I've already hunted. Even then, 12-13-14 signals aren't very worthy of my old bones and joints, to even open 12-13 VDI.

It will be interesting going back the the 1st factory file and look for, and dig 12-13. I sure seem to remember finding the Nox was very good on nickels when I first got it.

I have been reading that some people are saying they don't like it.....too chatty and detects trash targets calling them good targets.

I went back to the old firmware for last nights hunt. I've been using the new firmware since it was released.

I can definitely say the upgrade is better.

Yeah, always a question of trade-offs. The Nox already liked rusty nails; but, if as some have reported, it now likes them a lot more, then I would probably roll back the upgrade. I say "probably" because there might be pluses, such as greater depth, that made the trade-off worthwhile--one can always turn up the iron bias setting a bit.

But, following the update, I really haven't noticed much of a difference in anything, as yet.

My nail collection has grown nicely and I have about 25 hours on this new update. Depth meter improvements I haven’t really seen much difference and the better target ID...well maybe but not by much. I might just revert to the older version if my nail collection gets to big

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

location, location, location

I don't think so, unfortunately. The few times I dug a nickel ID since the update, they turned out to be tabs--same as before. I generally leave nickel IDs alone if using the Nox, as in the places I dig, they are usually tabs.

It is almost like the old commercial real estate axiom "location, location, location". You set up your 800 depending on location. Location dictates how you hunt and what settings to use that is best for that location and your style of detecting. I hunt a modern park (1970's to now) and just don't care about nickels since it is unlikely to contain any old nickels.

But when I hunt an old swimming hole on a small river, it is a different story and I will dig all nickel signals and accept the pull tabs as the dues I have to pay to get the older nickels.

And with the Nox 800 it is easy to set up your breaks to suit your location and hunting style. This was the main reason I chose the 800 over the 600.

Last edited:
My nail collection has grown nicely and I have about 25 hours on this new update. Depth meter improvements I haven’t really seen much difference and the better target ID...well maybe but not by much. I might just revert to the older version if my nail collection gets to big

I don’t have too many hours on the 800 but I too am having issues with the deep iron... It didn’t seem as bad before the update.

I don’t have too many hours on the 800 but I too am having issues with the deep iron... It didn’t seem as bad before the update.

Totally agree, seems little hotter on deep iron then it was before and I have ALOT of hours in my Nox

Back
Top Bottom