Strange green glow!

hoser

Forum Supporter
Well not really strange, just looks pretty cool to me. The recent thaw we had took away all the snow and left the lake ice smooth. I have been going out at night for smelt through the ice. Everyone there uses a green LED drop light to attract the fish. It also looks pretty cool in the dark. These pics are for those of you who have never seen it below the ice.

Attachments

• ice smelt 002 (600 x 450).jpg
    ice smelt 002 (600 x 450).jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 172
  • green 003 (600 x 450).jpg
    green 003 (600 x 450).jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 172
  • green 001 (600 x 450).jpg
    green 001 (600 x 450).jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 160
  • ice smelt 003 (600 x 450).jpg
    ice smelt 003 (600 x 450).jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 190
Thanks. My camera I was using dosen't do it justice. Usually there are ten or twelve shanties set up in a group, so the glow is quite large. The larger fish in the pail are called Cisco, a type of fresh water herring in the whitefish family. After cooking them I found them to be on the soft side. So if we get into them again I'm gonna smoke a batch and see how they turn out.:p;)

Very cool...

I seen guys running those lights before...

Good to see another hard water guy on here!

<°)))>{

Attachments

• IMG_20150310_010456_zpsts9f0n3e.JPG
    IMG_20150310_010456_zpsts9f0n3e.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 128
I have done the same thing ice fishing at night, I was fishing on the
" outer edge of the light" and caught some nice crappies .
reminds me of superman's green crystal....

I used to go smelting up in the UP when I still lived up there. We only had about a week when they would run up a river. Would grab the nets, some empty trash cans and a case of beer and be there most of the night. We would get bored netting them when they got real going and once there was enough beer in us see who could get the most by hand. Quitting time was when the trash can was full or 2 or more of us have already fell in the river and were sitting in the car trying to dry out in 20 to 30 degree weather. Leave the can of smelt in the snowbank for a few days before cleaning them and give us enough time to get rid of the flu and we were good to go. Ah to be young and dumb again....

Cool pictures.

Have you ever seen natural green glows? I was camping in Vermont and saw a green glow in the woods. In the morning I walked out and found some fungus on a log it was still glowing.

A few weeks later I was working at the Jersey shore, my friends decided to take a canoe ride about 10 PM, they were back in less than a minute saying the water was glowing. I told them it was just plankton and nothing to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom