Boston

CJ319

Forum Supporter
Headed to Boston the week of the 4th of July with a buddy and his wife. If everything goes as planned we’ll be taking our detectors. Putting the feelers out early to be prepared. Not sure exactly where we’re staying but it’ll be close to the freedom trail. Anyone interested in two stragglers?

One of my favorite places to detect in Boston was the Back Bay Fens, near Fenway Park, off Boylston St. Unfortunately I have since moved away, but have found some impressive coins there! From fatty indians to a 21 SLQ (semi-key) to silver bracelets. There is a large area to search, and a lot of history there!

Never hunted out in Boston but would like to someday, most of my hunting is done in Worcester county, but can travel. Keep us posted.

Wish I knew for certain if Back Bay Fens was OK to detect. At least most of the peninsula is closed to detecting, those squares with historic statues, etc. Boston Common definitely off limits.

I like to suggest since Boston Parks Dep't didn't exist until 1875, just detect the parks that were established starting then. That would be any not on the peninsula.

Wish I knew for certain if Back Bay Fens was OK to detect. At least most of the peninsula is closed to detecting, those squares with historic statues, etc. Boston Common definitely off limits.

I like to suggest since Boston Parks Dep't didn't exist until 1875, just detect the parks that were established starting then. That would be any not on the peninsula.

Probably around May I’ll start doing some research on legality and good areas. Thanks.

I live about 15 mi north of Boston and can travel as well, always interested in meeting other forum members.

It looks like they have pretty strict ordinances on detecting in the city. If you know of any private property we could hit, that would probably be a better idea. We won't have a car, so we'll be doing public transportation.

It looks like they have pretty strict ordinances on detecting in the city. If you know of any private property we could hit, that would probably be a better idea. We won't have a car, so we'll be doing public transportation.

Unfortunately I don't have any private permissions, they are hard to come by around here. I will check out some of the surrounding cities, I usually hunt further north of where I'm at (toward N.H) but there has to be some old parks near the city to hunt, I will do my best to scout them out and get back to you.

Headed to Boston the week of the 4th of July with a buddy and his wife. If everything goes as planned we’ll be taking our detectors. Putting the feelers out early to be prepared. Not sure exactly where we’re staying but it’ll be close to the freedom trail. Anyone interested in two stragglers?

I'm originally from Boston and still currently work there and worked in Cambridge as well. I knew a couple guys that would go along the Charles on both sides of the river and they found a lot of silver specially over near the MIT Dorms.
but even headed up the Charles to Mt Auburn Hospital and Watertown is all good stuff. but the reason I recommend avoiding the inner city is because your coming the weekend of the 4th and its going to be a lot of people everywhere and mixed in will be those people who don't want to see anyone digging especially undercover police,, who knows what they will say your doing on the phone and the Boston /MIT cops public work crews and everyone will be looking for suspicious people, unattended bags/packages and trash cans will all be removed,,, just being honest that things are a lot different in this city nowadays "See Something Say Something" is Boston's Motto now.

Because of the Holiday I recommend coming and leaving the family in Boston to shop and then hitting some local spots outside the city,, we have a lot of beaches and we get a lot of North Eastern storms that keep rolling the sands at the beaches which brings up more loot that was too deep before, there is a lot of history for miles outside the city,, I prefer the woods, first two pics are places I found bow hunting this season and last is what I call a normal "good day" woods score for me.

https://imgur.com/a/YcJDs

https://imgur.com/a/cgOZG

https://imgur.com/a/tYpXI

Nearing the trip so just wanted to throw this out there again. Thanks in advance.

The last I knew, the Back Bay Fens were not federal, like Boston Common (do not try there) but if you look at a map of Boston and local towns, you will see that along most of the main roadways there are green medians and islands that I have had a lot of luck in.

Unfortunately I don't have any private permissions, they are hard to come by around here. I will check out some of the surrounding cities, I usually hunt further north of where I'm at (toward N.H) but there has to be some old parks near the city to hunt, I will do my best to scout them out and get back to you.

Have you ever tried the Lowell Reservoir on Christian Hill? built in 1835, one is open topped and the other covered. It was a sledding hill for years and called "lovers Lane" up to the 40's. I have had a lot of great finds there!

We’re talking about renting a car. We’d be willing to drive to you if you’ve got somewhere good to go, even if it’s in NH.

We’re going to be staying on the north end. Due to probable heavy traffic in the area, and not really having a place to go, we’re canceling any plans to detect. We’ll still take our detectors just in case though.

Second day in the city and I can’t help but wonder what’s in every park I walk past. The history is just amazing. Still trying to find somewhere to dig, but today is the only day we have a car. My buddy didn’t bring his detector so I was really hoping to get the chance to detect and rub it in. Doesn’t look like that’s going to happen.

Back
Top Bottom