Michigan bottles

Scuba those are very nice examples!

I started bottle hunting when I was 15.
I'm 55 now. I became interested when I climbed into the crawl space of granny's large rural farmhouse, and found a pile of old cork-tops including an amber Paine's Celery Compound and an aqua Kennedy's Medical Discovery.

I dug many dumps over the years and have found many bottles, I like the late 1800's medicines the best but have found other things such as a beautiful pair of German-gold framed bifocals. My favorite dig is a large amber "Webbs Improved Stomach Bitters" from an early local druggist here in town.

I had many local late 1800's druggist bottles but lost them when they came crashing down from shelves that were overloaded. Sigh....

I have a few medicine bottles also. Not many as I too have had misfortunes with them.

The newest bottle I have is the Christmas Coke, Patented Dec 25, 1823. Anything newer I leave at the bottom. I love the old Hutchinson's from the 1800's. One of my favorite. The first bottle I posted was made in Detroit in 1852. It was the 4th one ever found.

Absolutely. I have found some wonderful ones.

[/QUOTEce
Those are very nice would love to have some like that for the shelf. I have a few that I have found up here in the UP. Some day I will in pack them and get some pics posted. Just moved in new house and don't have everything unpacked due to long hours at work. Thanks for posting very cool.

I know I'm from Wisconsin and on this thread, I should only be seen not heard.

But here is a story to to make you cry;

About 27 years ago my wife and I bought our first house. We didn't have much money and at 22 you can imagine our pay was indicative of our work history.

The house we purchased was originally an 1850's one room stone house whose original owner was a lead miner. Over the years the house had been built out and up, but one addition had a small basement. About 15'x15' and there were brick coal bins, that no longer uses was filled with bricks.....and bottles.

I pulled one bottle or two, they were old real old. Tha basement was dark, damp and only 5 ft tall, with brick floor and walls.

Here's the bad part. At 22 I had zero interest in history or much old. I never dug through those bins I assumed they were full of wolf spiders and I freaking hate spiders. We owned that house for 5 years and I have no idea of all the treasures that were in those two bins and kick myself when I remember that.

Found this one last week. Had a lot of fun researching it.
5fcba05d062b5d1fddda0a21ee74fc5d.jpg
bd34fc74dda1ea3f0c4c02b79d00d9d1.jpg

I know I'm from Wisconsin and on this thread, I should only be seen not heard.

But here is a story to to make you cry;

About 27 years ago my wife and I bought our first house. We didn't have much money and at 22 you can imagine our pay was indicative of our work history.

The house we purchased was originally an 1850's one room stone house whose original owner was a lead miner. Over the years the house had been built out and up, but one addition had a small basement. About 15'x15' and there were brick coal bins, that no longer uses was filled with bricks.....and bottles.

I pulled one bottle or two, they were old real old. Tha basement was dark, damp and only 5 ft tall, with brick floor and walls.

Here's the bad part. At 22 I had zero interest in history or much old. I never dug through those bins I assumed they were full of wolf spiders and I freaking hate spiders. We owned that house for 5 years and I have no idea of all the treasures that were in those two bins and kick myself when I remember that.

Treble, now if you had said that you BROKE those old bottles - now *that* would make me cry.:grin:

Back
Top Bottom