Re-Hunting sites with new detector?

BBsGal

Forum Supporter
Just a heads up, I've got another dang headache and have imbibed two good snorts of moonshine along with a handful of aspirin and some caffeinated coffee that may knock the edge off it, but the combination also makes me yakky...

Anyhoo, I am in the process of re-hunting all of my old sites with my new to me CTX 3030 and just kinda wondered if anyone else does this every time they get a newer / better detector?

So far it's paid off with 2 new silvers and my first gold, so I'm going to continue doing it.

I've only upgraded once but, yes I have retraced my steps everywhere I've hunted and it has paid off. I continue to go back to old sites from time to time regardless of upgrading. I always find something I've missed!

Yep. I always rehunt sites when I get a new machine just to see if it can pick out anything the others have missed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep BB I always hit it again. The one particular field I hunt has seen every machine under the sun, hunted by me and several others for decades. Ran it over with the CTX, would you know it! I hit a silver washington at 5 inches down. He was being closely guarded by Mr. Iron & his minions (the tabs).

Happy to find him.
DD

I did this going from Ace 250 to AT Gold. The first yard I ever detected I've been hitting constantly for about a year and it always gave up something. Went back with the AT and got an 1889 V Nickel a 1918 Buffalo and a 1907 Indian head. That was a couple months ago. I've since been to about 5 other yards that I've previously detected. With the AT I've found tokens, 3 1800s coins and a ton of other stuff. All in yards that I'd repeatedly detected with the 250.

I always try good spots again with new detectors. I'll have to remember your headache remedy, lol

I do it every time I get a new coil.
Each equipment change you make means the machine is looking at the ground differently, and that often leads to more finds from an old site.

Holy Cow....my hats off to you....I understand that 3030 is about 5 pounds....I couldn't swing that thing for 15 minutes without my arm falling off....do you use a sling by any chance?

PS....I always double check my hunting spots with new or different machines.

HDD

Good replies everyone, and I figured as much. It seems sensible to go back and re-work areas we already know have been productive. I have the theory that it's maybe not only just the new machines, but also the experience we gain with each new machine we learn on, and our ability gets better also with time and lots of hunting. I know these days I'm a far better hunter than I was a few years ago...

I always try good spots again with new detectors. I'll have to remember your headache remedy, lol

Lol, sometimes it works, when it doesn't at least I don't care as much :lol:

Holy Cow....my hats off to you....I understand that 3030 is about 5 pounds....I couldn't swing that thing for 15 minutes without my arm falling off....do you use a sling by any chance?

PS....I always double check my hunting spots with new or different machines.

HDD

I got a sling for it but found that it just got in my way. I also found that the more I get out and use it, the longer I can keep going with it so I guess I'm getting stronger. Who'da thought, at my age!

I'm not a little girl though, I'm 6' tall and kinda a tough old bird anyway so it's not too bad. It's definitely a lot more to swing around than those nice little Fisher machines though!

While I don't have a new detector, I have several. Most are vintage machines from twenty to thirty years old. From time to time I switch to hunting with one of them over the same areas I have hunted before. I have been hunting one park for over thirty years but I still find things. The ground changes every time there is a freeze or a big rain making things available that you missed before. The other day i took my original Silver Sabre out and went over the area that I had hunted with a newer detector. I found over a dollar in change with it. that's more than I found with the newer one. Perhaps being used to it has a lot to do with it too.

Found one extra silver with my Etrac out of 5 spots I've pounded. 543 mercs to go and it's paid for! ")

Even with the same detector i go back once and a while.

Soil lives (rain, earth movement, farmers). New stuff can come up.

Back
Top Bottom