New from northern Illinois

Logo1924

Hello,

I am new to the forums as well as to metal detecting. Everything I have found so far hasn't been in the ground for more than 15 years, but I'm still having fun. I have the Garrett ACE 200, which seems to have issues working in sandy areas at a lake. Other than that, I like it. Nice to meet you all :cool:

Today's finds:
3 pull tabs
1 penny made in 2000
1 quarter made in 1999
Rusty screw
A nail
Small toy car

You are right where we all have been, at the starting point. You have chosen to become one of the elite people in the world, and that is a treasure hunter. You will become hooked on this hobby, there is no going back, so go ahead and find the goodies and have a ball. Welcome to the forum from another hooked on treasure hunter from N. Michigan;):D

Welcome from the Texas Hill Country. Your finds will increase in time as you learn more about detecting and your machine. Just have fun and it will all come together !!!

Thanks for the warm welcome guys :D hopefully I can keep the hobby going, but it seems like Illinois and a lot of other states aren't too friendly when it comes to metal detecting in public areas. Also I made the mistake of underestimating the usefulness of the pinpointer, which I'm hesitant to buy since they are pricey :shock:

Thanks for the warm welcome guys :D hopefully I can keep the hobby going, but it seems like Illinois and a lot of other states aren't too friendly when it comes to metal detecting in public areas. Also I made the mistake of underestimating the usefulness of the pinpointer, which I'm hesitant to buy since they are pricey :shock:

Howdy neighbor...welcome from McHenry county...

Where did you hear that Illinois isn't friendly to metal detecting in public areas? What public areas specifically? I've had no issues at the beaches, parks, and schools around here.

You definitely need a pinpointer in my opinion...and yes, they ARE pricey, but you save a lot of time using them. If you're local, I'd be happy to let you borrow one of mine to see how useful they are. I have 4 different ones...

I have the Harbor Freight one (junk, but better than nothing)
the Fisher pinpointer (not F-Pulse), even junkier than the HF one
Garrett Pro-Pointer (really nice)
Garret Pro-Pointer AT (the best of the bunch)

Howdy neighbor...welcome from McHenry county...

Where did you hear that Illinois isn't friendly to metal detecting in public areas? What public areas specifically? I've had no issues at the beaches, parks, and schools around here.

You definitely need a pinpointer in my opinion...and yes, they ARE pricey, but you save a lot of time using them. If you're local, I'd be happy to let you borrow one of mine to see how useful they are. I have 4 different ones...

I have the Harbor Freight one (junk, but better than nothing)
the Fisher pinpointer (not F-Pulse), even junkier than the HF one
Garrett Pro-Pointer (really nice)
Garret Pro-Pointer AT (the best of the bunch)

Well from reading online, it seems that I need a permit to go just about anywhere. I sent out emails to 3 different people asking for permission to metal detect in places like a local public Park, along a massive Trail, or the nature preserve. I know the nature preserve is probably off limits but there was an old building they tore down a few years ago that I wanted to check out. Either way, it's been a week and none of them have responded.

I almost gave in last night and got a Garrett AT Pro. But i figure for now I will just scoop up the dirt and wave it in front of my detector:lol:. I did order dymium magnets to help speed it up. I am a good 2 hours west of you, but thanks for your generosity! I'll probably buy a pinpointer soon, I'm just frugal

Last edited:

Here is the low cost HF model pinpointer, it's better than not having one at all if you're not able to or ready to pay the much higher cost for a Garrett Propointer yet -

https://www.harborfreight.com/metal-detector-97245.html

Even if it only lasts a year or two it's only $16.99 .....it's something to hold you over till you're ready for a pricier model pinpointer. (just don't expect it to be as durable or work as well as a waterproof Garrett Propointer) (I'd get a Propointer myself, but it's out of my limited hobby budget for now :lol:)

Here is the low cost HF model pinpointer, it's better than not having one at all if you're not able to or ready to pay the much higher cost for a Garrett Propointer yet -

https://www.harborfreight.com/metal-detector-97245.html

Even if it only lasts a year or two it's only $16.99 .....it's something to hold you over till you're ready for a pricier model pinpointer. (just don't expect it to be as durable or work as well as a waterproof Garrett Propointer) (I'd get a Propointer myself, but it's out of my limited hobby budget for now :lol:)

I have seen those around, but I was afraid they wouldn't last more than a week. I just went ahead and ordered it anyways since you mentioned it! Already have a Hori Hori garden knife on the way, I think all I need now are better gloves :grin:

Well from reading online, it seems that I need a permit to go just about anywhere. I sent out emails to 3 different people asking for permission to metal detect in places like a local public Park, along a massive Trail, or the nature preserve. I know the nature preserve is probably off limits but there was an old building they tore down a few years ago that I wanted to check out. Either way, it's been a week and none of them have responded.

I almost gave in last night and got a Garrett AT Pro. But i figure for now I will just scoop up the dirt and wave it in front of my detector:lol:. I did order dymium magnets to help speed it up. I am a good 2 hours west of you, but thanks for your generosity! I'll probably buy a pinpointer soon, I'm just frugal

Depending on county and city laws, you might...but Illinois on the whole doesn't have any rules against metal detecting public parks...nature preserves, historical areas, sure....you can't detect there...but your local totlot should be fine...

Depending on county and city laws, you might...but Illinois on the whole doesn't have any rules against metal detecting public parks...nature preserves, historical areas, sure....you can't detect there...but your local totlot should be fine...

That's reassuring, thank you! Worst thing that can happen is that I get told to leave, right? I'll have to head out there once I get better at digging/filling my holes :lol:

Also thank you everyone for the welcome. I'm going to stop bumping this thread with thank you's lol

I have seen those around, but I was afraid they wouldn't last more than a week. I just went ahead and ordered it anyways since you mentioned it! Already have a Hori Hori garden knife on the way, I think all I need now are better gloves :grin:

That's fine, personally I'd prefer the Garrett Propointer if higher cost was not a factor for now, but you said you were hesitant to buy since they are pricey, and that's okay, I definitely understand having limited funds for hobby stuff :lol:

It should last much more than a week, but you do need to be careful with them as they are nowhere near as durable as the pricey models.

If you search the forum you will find past posts about them, some where people have modded them.

Back
Top Bottom