The Acid Test

61Cadillac

Elite Member
The other day I asked about a totally wiped silver coin I found last December. On the suggestion of one of out forum members I gave the coin, and one other in similar condition the "Silver Acid" treatment. I am very happy to share the results! After two 3 minute treatments per side I was able to identify both coins. The quarter I knew was a Canadian before I tested it, but the back was smooth. The other was smooth on both sides and couldn't be identified at all. Here are photos of the results.

Quarter is an 1872 Canadian
Dime is a Seated 1875-S

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 378
  • acid.jpg
    acid.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 295
  • 1st pass.jpg
    1st pass.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 297
  • done front.jpg
    done front.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 293
  • done back.jpg
    done back.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 301
  • 1872 quarter.jpg
    1872 quarter.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 303
  • 1875 dime.jpg
    1875 dime.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 300
Nice job! I just ordered some for a couple of unidentifiable silver coins ive found. How did u soak them? What kind of container did you use? Does this acid burn your skin? Years ago I bought an acid test kit with a stone but from I can remember I was confused and unsure if I was doing it correctly. Again great results. Thanks Paul

I just put a coating of the acid over the surface of the coin and let it sit for 3 minutes, rinsed & repeated for another 3 minutes then rinsed again. I used a knife to pick the coins up and drop them in water, never touched the acid.

Congratulations on that seated dime!
Since I was able to ID it on your original thread, do I win a prize?:D

Matmit, for calling it from the get go I hear by bestow upon you the honor of me saying "You were right!".

Just ask my wife she will tell you how rare a prize that really is! :laughing:

To test for silver or gold, you scratch the coin on a test stone and put the acid on the mark. A local jeweler ruined several coins by putting the acid on the coins.

Silversmith, these coins were totally smooth when I started, this was only done to try to get some detail to identify two otherwise not identifiable coins.

Back
Top Bottom