2 Erie canal dumps...marbles...clay pipe pieces and a spider!

SevenOneSix

Elite Member
Finally got out again. It seemed like I havent been here for ages even though its only been about a week lol. These are my finds over a 3 hour period. Enjoy!

20170414_153608_zpsstfsli8d.jpg

Vintage airplane shot? I dunno...lol
20170414_153624_zpsufypo6yx.jpg

20170414_153202_zpsjpspii8n.jpg

20170414_161920_zpsgmkfxy1b.jpg

Hey lil guy!
20170414_153831_zpszwhafwc5.jpg

So after about 2 hours in the first dump I got extremely bored. This doesnt happen often at this spot but I just wasnt feeling it. I decided to make my way to the other dump I rarely dig in. This spot is about an inch or so of soil and then hard clay under that. But on this day I found a spot that was not that hard packed clay and started digging.
20170414_173235_zpsn8sbquzq.jpg

Thats when I seen this.....and I got really excited...
20170414_173252_zpsyl3v4138.jpg

20170414_173305_zpsiaau597l.jpg

Some of the broken stuff I dug out of this spot
20170414_180219_zps5bpzz5gq.jpg

20170414_180233_zpsjj7bwmrf.jpg

So many shells! and a few pipe stems
20170414_180250_zpsubb6azby.jpg

Clay marble!
20170414_174701_zps1w162qxm.jpg

Finds cleaned up a bit
20170415_163601-1_zpsifxliayh.jpg

I have a habit of fnding things and not inspecting them until I get home. So when I found this i figured it was just a buffalo nickel and tossed it in my bag. Now I really havent got a clue what this is....I think it says WELFARE so maybe a welfare token?
20170415_163730_zpskpm3s0u0.jpg

Bottles
20170415_164046_zpsukw4gsdx.jpg

Oops cant forget the airplane shot? lol
20170415_164915_zpswmikrbau.jpg

What I notice the most about this is how cold it feels when I hold it. Must be a clay thing.
20170415_163644_zpsaldebufp.jpg

20170415_163624_zpsl60udi1s.jpg

This stem was marked but the other was not
20170415_163656_zpsdca1sqvs.jpg

Erie canal wooden lock. Looking forward to the zip line they are supposedly putting in this year!
20170410_182821_zpswmbvglye.jpg

20170410_182852_zpsxo3pbvfo.jpg

I have a slight fear of spiders and snakes. To yall this may not be a big spider but to me it was hugeeeee and prob the biggest ive come across in NY state so far.
20170402_171354_zpscqpqpuab.jpg

A little size comparison...Yes i'm diggin with a hammer. Yes I did not come prepared lol.
Screenshot_2017-04-02-20-31-36_zpstcma2nhm.png

The main reason I came to the dump was for this rock. I wanted it and now I own it. Forgot to take a pic of the whole rock though lol sorry.
20170403_042919_zpsyicsurps.jpg

Hope you all enjoyed my finds. Thanks for checking in and HH everyone!!!

Wait you found a fossil?!?!! Those are some great finds! Congrats!

Thanks! This fossil is on slab that weighs approx 8-10lbs. The whole one side is covered in fossils but I didn't have the energy to carry it out last time. Made sure to bring the bookbag this round.

Nice Crinoid fossils, that's a beautiful rock they're on! Its rare to find them in western PA, we mostly have brachiopods here. You might wanna hit Winter Green gorge if you wanna find a ton a of shell fossils

Wow, what a nice bunch of relics. I think that "welfare" token is a newer game or ride token. Ive found similar nickle sized brass tokens, but without anything stamped on them. Congrats!

Awesome pipe stems and i love pulling marbles. To he** with that spider though. I've left sites due to the spiders. Really bad arachnophobia :roll: Should probably be more concerned with the snakes around here...

Very successful hunt. I have dug lots of dumps out in Az in the past - love it. The token has the 2 grooves to go through a machine & activate. At least that's what someone told me. I have run across a few tarantulas & scorpions out west. Never any problems tho. Good hunt, Steve in so la

Very productive 3 hours!
I'm heading to Buffalo on Sat. and start seeing the locks around Albany. Is there a way to get up close to them?? I always thought they were off limits to the public.
Cool variety of finds
Congrats!

Sometimes we would dig up small scorpions and mini tarantulas but rarely.
Ick! That was 30 years ago.we smashed em.
That might be a wolf spider??
I agree the welfare token thing is modern.
Happy bottle digging.

Nice Crinoid fossils, that's a beautiful rock they're on! Its rare to find them in western PA, we mostly have brachiopods here. You might wanna hit Winter Green gorge if you wanna find a ton a of shell fossils
Just looked up Winter Green Gorge and man thats a beautiful place! It reminds me of a place about an hour from here where we go hiking and jump off waterfalls. Also kinda reminds me of a place even closer called Chestnut Ridge where people come to see the Eternal Flame.

That fossil is awesome!
Thanks! Posting a pic of the actual slab soon!

Wow, what a nice bunch of relics. I think that "welfare" token is a newer game or ride token. Ive found similar nickle sized brass tokens, but without anything stamped on them. Congrats!
I think you might be right....I havent pulled a modern coin out of here yet so it was probably time to pull something modern out lol.

Congrats on some great digs!
I like everything except the spider. :no2:
Thanks! It freaked me out.....not going to lie. lol

Some nice bottles and relics, good pictures, and the fossil is killer...a fine day of digging!
Thanks! Posting a pic of the slab soon!

Awesome pipe stems and i love pulling marbles. To he** with that spider though. I've left sites due to the spiders. Really bad arachnophobia :roll: Should probably be more concerned with the snakes around here...
Thanks! Luckily I havent come across a poisonous snake yet....Or maybe I have and just didnt notice it......

Very successful hunt. I have dug lots of dumps out in Az in the past - love it. The token has the 2 grooves to go through a machine & activate. At least that's what someone told me. I have run across a few tarantulas & scorpions out west. Never any problems tho. Good hunt, Steve in so la
The only problem with the dumps is that I rarely pick up my metal detectors anymore.....I own an F2 and was given 2 other brands for free and havent really used them at all lol.

Very productive 3 hours!
I'm heading to Buffalo on Sat. and start seeing the locks around Albany. Is there a way to get up close to them?? I always thought they were off limits to the public.
Cool variety of finds
Congrats!
Thanks! If you plan on heading towards Lockport let me know!....The locks are not off limits here! Im actually standing in the middle of the locks. One one side you have the famous"Flight of Five" locks and the other is the E34 and E35 locks that replaced the "flight of five" back in 1918. You can also take an Erie Canal boat tour (best part is when you go up and down locks E34 and E35....The rest of the tour is....boring. Now you can also do the underground cave tour.....I've never done it. But it looks really neat.

Sometimes we would dig up small scorpions and mini tarantulas but rarely.
Ick! That was 30 years ago.we smashed em.
That might be a wolf spider??
I agree the welfare token thing is modern.
Happy bottle digging.
Thanks! Everyone so far on FB thinks its a wolf spider. I dunno. Id rather not see another one lol.

Nice variety of finds!!!!
Thanks!

I had to weigh myself on a scale and then weigh myself with the rock and subtract the difference. Not sure how accurate it is but it came out a little over 7lbs. I'm happy to add it to my collection!
20170417_165200_zps13teqsie.jpg

20170417_170440_zpscbpoxg83.jpg

Back
Top Bottom