QUESTION/POLL - Fake Finds?

I went in to clothing sales when I was in ALS to buy a silver star for a prop for one of my reports. That thing was 50 dollars! needless to say I didn't buy it lol. As for just throwing stuff on your RR I can tell you that someone would def call you out. A guy working in finance isnt going to have a purple heart and a silver star unless he cross trained.....

Folks are naturally competitive, even on this friendly forum. This may
contribute to folks feeling like they need to compete in any way possible
and fake finds may be part of that.

But in reality, you're only competing against yourself in this hobby in
my opinion. There is just too much land and sea and too few hunters
to cover it. Think of all the virgin private yards, for example, blows the
mind. Getting the courage to ask for permission isn't competing with
someone else. Someone who does that gets more respect from me than
someone who finds a bunch of bling, or silver pocket spill.

I was gutting a largemouth bass many years ago. Found a quarter in the gut sack. I surmise someone threw it in and the bass saw the flash and engulfed it. This was probably 1962. So it was silver.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I was gutting a largemouth bass many years ago..

Sorry, beer, when I read that I had to laugh...it was a little more than many years ago...IT WAS ALMOST HALF A CENTURY AGO!!!!!!!!!!!

What do you believe is the correct ratio of pictures of actual dug finds posted in online forums -vs- "jewelry store," or faked finds?

A) 99-percent of all posts are actual finds
B) 80-percent of all posts are actual finds
C) 60- percent of all posts are actual finds
D) 50- percent of all posts are actual finds

What is the main motivation for sharing real finds?

What is the main motivation for faking finds?

75% of all posts on the net are bogus
all my stuff is fake... even my picture
imagesCAIJZKN4.jpg

Yes, I have seen pictures of what I think are fake finds,
When I started going out to Jones Beach on Long Island, New York, I of course ran into a few of the local hunters. One of the first folks I met out there, is well known as a very successful beach hunter. He is about 70. He and his pals, a group of about 5-6 guys, practically live at the beach. The first time I met him I was coming off the beach and showering off my detector and scoop by the concession stand at Field #6. He asked if I had found anything. I said, "Peace of mind and a pound or two of metal." He laughed, patted me on the back and we started talking. Here is what surprised me - When he introduced me to the "gang," and I asked what their favorite finds were, they all pulled out Ipods! White, Blue, Pink, Silver, all different models! The rings are "so old hat" to these guys! Amazing!

and fake stories.

Here in Texas years back

I can't imagine how much shame you'd put upon yourself and your family to do something like that. The extreme amount of disrespect to those actually serving is unfathomable. (referring to the link)

They was a man hold a state level office with DAV Disabled American Vets that was passing him self off as DAV with even award but the Metal of Honour from NAN. He had been doing it years. Riding in peraides with city and state officafals, Having his photo taking in uniform with Governors.

His story was he was a army Master Seraget wth 22 years of service. One tour Korea and 3 tours in Nan with three gunshoot wounds carriering men to a Helo after a ambush. Someone to look at his metal on his uniform jacket. He was not wearing them in the right. Come to found out He had been kick out of the Army in 1954 on a bad dischange.

He fooled his Family, friends, and ever one else for 20 years or more.

Lots in the coinshooters forum. Usually the motive is to sell a type of detector. Most finds can't be faked without experienced detectorists knowing. Hint; it's not so much the quantity of finds but the condition the coins are in. Some types of corrosion can't be faked ever.

All I can say is don't spend too much on a coin detector. ;)

There will always be scammers and liars,,pretenders.

Myself,,I am a vet,,served 22 years,,,no Purple Hearts,,no silver stars,,no Medal of Honor.

Did receive 3 meritorious service medals,,and some others.

Had a wise gent tell me once.
Much harder to lie vs tell the truth.
Why???
When you lie you have to remember who you told which lie to.

When you tell the truth,,you won't ever have to think about what you told one person or the other,,,your stories to different people will always mesh.

Here Is where things get interesting.
When you have 2 liars telling lies to each other.lol

And liars,,here is what they fail to understand.
The digital world has made it even harder to be a good liar.
Too many ways now to get caught,,,pics, digitally derived data can be had quickly on some issues and expose these folks.

Lies usually always surround some type of success or money(income) I have found.
This is really the only way it seems some folks can compete,,or in their minds save face.

Liars are also usually lazy too.

Rather than do the actual work for accomplishment or success,,,just tell a few lies bragging on their untrue endeavors.

What do you believe is the correct ratio of pictures of actual dug finds posted in online forums -vs- "jewelry store," or faked finds?

A) 99-percent of all posts are actual finds
B) 80-percent of all posts are actual finds
C) 60- percent of all posts are actual finds
D) 50- percent of all posts are actual finds

What is the main motivation for sharing real finds?

What is the main motivation for faking finds?

I am asking these questions because of personal experiences in gold prospecting, where people actually posted pictures of nuggets I had sold in the past, as nuggets they "found" in the desert, or even Alaska. This appears to have happened just recently with a gold nugget sold as a California specimen, when it may have come from Australia. Seems to me, the same shennannigans could be happening on this end of the hobby - hence my questions. Looking forward to your opinions!

A for sure. I think very few people would ever post a fake find. 1/100 is probably too high for fakers. It's probably more like 1/500+. There are folks who obviously find some need for validation that outweighs their morality, but I think most of us (vast majority) don't fit that category.

I know sometimes people can get the idea that because someone is posting lots of finds, it must be fake. Having found 39 gold rings in just 27 months ON LAND, I probably have raised a few eyebrows, too. But people only see the results. Not the fact I'm out there 2-3 hours a day 6 days a week and I find about 2 golds a month by constantly researching places that haven't been hit. Last year, I expanded into neighborhood parks and found a bunch. This year, I've had to travel to nearby cities. Places DO dry up, which is why I try to find new places!

But... add up all the money I've made from gold sales and silver sales and clad, and I'm actually still making less than $5 an hour. People don't see that. They only see the posts of the good stuff. Not the $2 in clad I brought home from the local park.

I suppose the validation is nice, but it's not worth my integrity.

Skippy

Just an FYI, this is an old thread. It is OK to bring old threads back to life, but just wanted everyone to know.

Lots in the coinshooters forum. Usually the motive is to sell a type of detector. Most finds can't be faked without experienced detectorists knowing. Hint; it's not so much the quantity of finds but the condition the coins are in. Some types of corrosion can't be faked ever.

All I can say is don't spend too much on a coin detector. ;)

Really? I must be naive !! that's the main forum I frequent. Guess I don't notice it. Condition of coins can really vary by region and even coins next to each other. I found 4 dimes in the same location the other day and three looked dug and one looked like it came out of a drawer. Same the next day. The dimes looked dug and my quarter looked like it came out of a drawer. but all the wheats in this area look dug and the dirt is real hard to get off, yet not far from here I found a few wheats that could have come out of a drawer. completely different soil types.

I think the fun in posting is just sharing the finds. I like old coins, but sitting a boughten and a dug one side by side, the dug one means a lot to me, the other is just nice to have.

I know this is an old thread but a good one. I think the OP is not posting here anymore but on T-net now.

I know there are fake finds on here and have been in the past. WHY they do it, I think only they know. Some feel they have to be the best detectorist.

I feel there is absolutely NO such thing. You get your coil over something and you decide to dig. The rest is history. Why some have to THINK they are better than others or they have the best machine is beyond my comprehension.

I used to accuse but not anymore. However I feel that some mislead others into buying a machine thinking they will make lots of money off detecting. I decided it was their problem and not try to get involved.

A lot of us find spots that are virgin and have never been touched by a detector. Others find places that have been hammered and have been able to find a good signal every now and again. We all should be doing it for fun and hopefully be able to find a real treasure.

I also noticed that people that who come with fake finds seem not to last very long. They get banned or burned out trying to make others believe they are better than everyone else. (Who remembers Midas?)

Anyway, every profession has good and not so good people in it. Ours is no exception. I think most the experienced folks here can tell a dug coin from a pile of bought coins.

On a side note. Even if you think the person is full of it, it is better to just keep your mouth shut and move on. We are guests here and we have no say in how the owners or mods want to run this site. Bringing contention to it isn't the way to make friends or go places. I know I have been guilty of it though so I am not pointing fingers.

A lot on here will give honest advice, show honest finds and enjoy helping others learn the hobby. Others show fake finds, try to cram their views down your throat that they have the best detector they are the best out there. Well like most everything else in life, you have to sort through the trash to find the treasure.

What I REALLY find amusing is the original poster posted a pristine steel penny he found underground himself a few years back!!

Last edited:
I hope to believe the 99 percent because this isn't a perfect world but some people do like the attention more than the credibility though. I generally FROWN UPON fake posters:no: because there is so much out there that why would someone make a fake post, but they do anyway. That's why I don't post much. Only very rare or historical finds but even so I don't really care about the attention or feedback of things I find, really don't feel I need to convince or prove to people that I can find good things. I just love to share history with people so I comment more than post. Even on the rarity that I do post something of great importance I still always get at least one or two smart remarks from a cynical forum member. I guess that is the ways of the world so I don't blame them for their disbelief cause really life just makes us all that way over time anyway. Hard to believe anything anymore. If I had to guess I believe at least 95% of finds are genuine.

Back
Top Bottom