Fun Day of Finds in a Colonial Field

GKman

Forum Supporter
Yesterday was a great day to be out detecting... If you don't mind hot, sticky, humid, weather while standing in the middle of a field digging colonial coins...

Myself, CtTodd​, Todd Hiltz​, and Dave Wise​ had a chance to get together again and do some field hunting this time out. The last time we were all together was last fall and we were hiking up and down mountains so this was a nice change of scenery.

Research had shown there to be some older homes in the area so it made sense that the fields closest to those homes would have seen a lot of human activity over the past several hundred years and our finds demonstrated that.

Unfortunately I was late to the party, but ended up quickly recovering a Draped bust, and then a King George II and a, a,...... Mercury!

Finding the Mercury was one of the laughs we had yesterday, since we had all went over to see what Todd had dug which was a CT Copper. I had carried my detector along with me since I rarely let a step go without swinging and as I was walking back towards the way I came from I heard the tell tale sign of a coin and said Uh Oh! and smiled at everyone else... Todd H got out his camera to film the recovery and we were all hoping for something else of the same vintage. Dave Wise checked the signal and said it sounded like silver.. So, I flip the plug over, pinpoint and we all see the glint of a silver edge.. Now, I am thinking Spanish real...I pop it out and it's a stinking mercury... We all let our our version of "aww man"....(I guess we are a tough crowd to impress) But silver is silver so you smile and swing on.

We all had a great time finding some nice coins (one of us made a killer find) and having good conversation. I look forward to seeing the guys again soon..
HH

Attachments

• 20150614_215326.jpg
    20150614_215326.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 357
Congrats on your Draped Bust, KG, and "stinking" Mercury! :laughing:

Nice hunt! Are the bugs/gnats/flying critters thick out in the fields? I can't stand the bugs that want to fly directly in your eyeballs! :(

HH,
Raphis
Dan

Stinking mercury! - I couldn't agree more. :)
I know this feeling.
Every time I see the back of the silver coin with familiar pattern I'm telling to myself - here is my first seated!
But no - every time it is a stinking barber!!!

Back
Top Bottom