1853 quar dola

getherduged

All silver. Some tarnishing. Was pulled out of sandy soil. Any suggestions will be most appreciated.

John

Attachments

• 1853 quar dol.jpg
    1853 quar dol.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 216
  • 1853 quar dol back.jpg
    1853 quar dol back.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 207
Nice Find John!!!........What did you want suggestions on...Cleaning it up? I would clean it with baking soda in between my fingers, or with a Very soft brush.

What you do is up to you but baking soda is abrasive and will ruin the collector value of the coin.

I used Hagerty jewelry cleaner and it seemed to take much of the tarnish off. I didn't think it would harm the finish and it seemed to take alot of the tarnish off. What do you all think?

Attachments

• 1853 quar dol.jpg
    1853 quar dol.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 179
  • 1853 quar dol back.jpg
    1853 quar dol back.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 184
  • Back022407.jpg
    Back022407.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 193
  • Front2022407.jpg
    Front2022407.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 199
Forgot to tell you, the first two are before cleaning and the second two are after cleaning.

I don't know too much about collector values, but it sure looks nice.
I thought it cleaned up pretty good.
Nice find.
My oldest is a 1935 quarter.

Ouch, the tarnish that was removed was the original surface of the coin. If you want to preserve the value of the coin, never use any kind of silver cleaner, abrasive or even anything to rub the surface. A careful washing in soap and mild water, rinse in pure water and pat dry is all that should be done.

My mistake Cut. I checked on the value and it's not worth more than 3-5 dollars. I just thought silver was suppose to look like silver.

I just thought silver was suppose to look like silver.

I know what you mean getherdug. It took me a while to understand why collectors would prefer a dirty old black coin to a nice shiney one, but that's what they want. If the coin is soley for your collection, and you have no intention or need to sell it, than clean it all you want. It's a personal choice, and if you think it makes for better eye appeal for your collection, than clean away, put it in a flip and add it to your collection. It is a sweeeet coin, in any condition!

Back
Top Bottom