Where was Rudy? Part six

Rudy

Admin
This is a continuation from this thread.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this thread. Lots of stuff to catch up on after my absence.

Ok, here is a photo hint of where I went next. Can you guess?

IMG_4444.jpg

The Great Hall in Edinburgh Castle ?

Neat photo Rudy !

.......can you imagine wearing that metal armor on a hot day ? :coolinoff: :lol:

https://www.edinburghcastle.gov.uk/discover/highlights/the-great-hall

from the above link:

"The Great Hall

A wonder of medieval Scotland, the Great Hall was completed in 1511 for James IV and stands at the heart of the castle.
Its magnificent wooden roof is one of the most remarkable in Britain. Giant beams rest on stones engraved with heads and important symbols like the thistle – a badge of Scotland."

The Great Hall in Edinburgh Castle ?

Neat photo Rudy !

.......can you imagine wearing that metal armor on a hot day ? :coolinoff: :lol:

https://www.edinburghcastle.gov.uk/discover/highlights/the-great-hall

from the above link:

"The Great Hall

A wonder of medieval Scotland, the Great Hall was completed in 1511 for James IV and stands at the heart of the castle.
Its magnificent wooden roof is one of the most remarkable in Britain. Giant beams rest on stones engraved with heads and important symbols like the thistle – a badge of Scotland."

:waytogo: How did you guess?

We motored our way to the beautiful City of Edinburgh, the capital of Scotland.
IMG_4410.jpg

For the Harry Potter fans out there, J K Rowlin lives in Edinburgh. Unfortunately,
we didn't have the time to stop over for tea. :roll:
IMG_4411.jpg

You can clearly see the medieval architecture in the old town of Edinburgh.
IMG_4426.jpg

Many famous people visit Edinburgh, even the Invisible Man has been known
to visit. :D
IMG_4452.jpg

Of course, I had to make a quick stop at the Deacon's House and enjoy a
nice shot of single malt with the Deacon and his wife.
IMG_4453.jpg

Having been fortified with that nice scotch, we prepare to make a climb up
to Edinburgh castle, at the top of the hill.
IMG_4428.jpg

Edinburgh Castle dominates the skyline. Archaeologists have established human
occupation of the rock since at least the Iron Age (2nd century AD).
IMG_4414.jpg

There has been a royal castle on the rock since at least the reign of David I in the 12th century,
and the site continued to be a royal residence until 1633. From the 15th century the castle's
residential role declined, and by the 17th century it was principally used as military barracks
with a large garrison.

As one of the most important strongholds in the Kingdom of Scotland, Edinburgh Castle was
involved in many historical conflicts, from the Wars of Scottish Independence in the 14th
century to the Jacobite Rising of 1745. Research undertaken in 2014 identified 26 sieges in its
1100-year-old history, giving it a claim to having been "the most besieged place in Great Britain
and one of the most attacked in the world"
IMG_4433.jpg

Here is a little bit of information on The Great Hall.
IMG_4440.jpg

Besides all the armor hanging on the wall, the Hall's great vaulted ceiling is an amazing piece of work and engineering.
IMG_4441.jpg

Located to the right of the entrance to the castle is a statue dedicated to Sir William
Wallace. He was one of the main leaders during the Wars of Scottish Independence and
is the subject character in the movie Braveheart.
IMG_4451.jpg

I think Gary hit the armor on the head! Nice ID

Thanks !

:waytogo: How did you guess?

I just used a search engine trying different word combinations like swords hanging, armor, switched to image search, saw an image that looked similar to yours, saw location of that image, verified by doing a search with - Edinburgh Castle armor swords - and found that link I posted.

So it was a fairly sure "guess" after my search research :lol:

Awesome photos, I bet you are enjoying every minute of the trip!
Thanks for posting, honestly most of us will never get to see spots like that...

Thanks !

I just used a search engine trying different word combinations like swords hanging, armor, switched to image search, saw an image that looked similar to yours, saw location of that image, verified by doing a search with - Edinburgh Castle armor swords - and found that link I posted.

So it was a fairly sure "guess" after my search research :lol:

That's pretty good detective work Gary. I thought for sure that someone with
local knowledge would have been the one to get it.

Beautiful pictures and awesome history. Thanks Rudy.

Thank you!

Awesome photos, I bet you are enjoying every minute of the trip!
Thanks for posting, honestly most of us will never get to see spots like that...

Thanks. I did enjoy the trip. I tried to post these while there, but the ship's
satellite internet was just too flaky to upload photographs, so these are delayed about a week.

Back
Top Bottom