Tools of the trade #2

sandtrout

After getting my 1st detector (ACE 250) I watched the dvd and went out with my wife to a local beach. First day: 1-penny and 1-quarter. My wife found a penny and a quarter just lying on top of the sand walking about 20 feet to my left! Reminds me of taking kids...you give them the CHEAPEST pole and they catch most or all of the fish! NO JUSTICE!
On the 2nd day we hunted at the park close to the beach. For tools we had a screwdriver and a hand garden trowel. Not too bad except where the ground was HARD or had ROOTS! Our finds: 17-pennies, 4-dimes, and 1-nickel, a button, and a small toy hat. None were OLD but....I was OLD!!! At 60 I'm finding that the palms of my hands were sore from pushing that trowel into the ground and my knees hurt plus, the more I hunted the more I was switching that ACE back and forth from my right had to my left and it only weighs 2.7 lbs. For what I found it was a surprising amount of work digging and getting up and down so I made some notes so that I could ask you seasoned hunters some questions. I don't want to be one of those who say, "yeah, I tried it but what I found just wasn't worth the effort..." because I know that if I ever find someone's lost jewelry like a ring I'd be changing that opinion fast so here's what I'm thinking of getting:

PinPointer:trying to decide between a garrett or detector pistol grip..seems the pistol grip goes deeper
EZ Plugger from Jimmy Sierra's to alleviate some of the bending and save the palms!
Shovel: long skinny bladed in case the plug cutter doesn't work
Harness: that attaches to the belt then over the shoulder to the detector
Leshe trowel to make easier cuts once I'd down on my knees
Knee Pads with gel...at my age my knees hurt
Foam Pad so when I push that trowel into the dirt it won't wear out my palms
Milk Jug for washing water

Anyway, I think I attached a pix of todays finds and your opinions or advice on my list would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. DAN AKA Sandtrout

Attachments

• day 2.JPG
    day 2.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 639
One quick suggestion--shorten your detector rod and swing the coil right at your feet instead of out in front of you. This will reduce arm stress A LOT.

I am 48 and getting up and down off my knees is no party for me either. My palms were really sore the first week I started digging but like all other exercise it goes away with time. I also use the 250 and like Dan said shortening the rod and swinging closer to your feet works wonders for fatigue and pain. One other thing that has really helped me lately is using knee pads, you look kind of like a geek but on the icy cold damp or muddy ground they are life savers.

One more tip got any young relatives, I tell my two nephews grand stories of buried pirate treasures and you should see them dig.;)

Although it may not seem like it, detecting is a great way to get a little exercise. I am recovering from some heart surgery and go out for up to 4 or 5 hours at a time.
When I think of how many times that I have have gotten up and down to dig, and the amount of walking involved, its a good workout at the end of the day.
As for the amount and type of accessories that you will need, that comes with time. I've found that I now carry a box in my trunk with extras. (gloves, shovel, water, towel, batteries, etc..) Its just like any venture, you will customize it to suit your needs as time goes on. And, don't give up, it gets easier and more rewarding all the time.

I have found that the longer I do the hobby the less it stresses my arms for swinging and my hands for digging. I am 50 and my knees do hurt sometimes and I can't fix that. But one thing that has helped me is concentrating on just keeping enough relaxed grip on my detector to keep from dropping it while swinging and also swinging with my body as well as with my arms and switching hands often. I try to slow down and relax while detecting but sometimes if I find a hot spot and start digging good stuff I forget all about the relaxing part and start pushing. But hey, If I didn't get excited like that the hobby wouldn't be worth doing to me. Advil helps with the knee pain and a cold beer while counting my loot when i get home makes for a good day pain and all. Hope this helps a little.

You have put some good thought into your list. The harness to relieve the weight is a good idea and it works well. Suggestions above about making the rod shorter are also correct. Knee pads are a must - get a GOOD pair. The Lesche or Predator tools are the best, and the shovel is good to bring in your car (heavy to carry all the time). As you go on, you will hear of certain tips and perhaps develop some of your own, share them with us. Meantime, HH RickO

I'm 64. Metal detecting is some of the best exercise that you can get. The more you do, the less you will notice the aches and pains. I use cheap knee pads that I bought at Harbor Freight. They protect you from rocks and other things and keep your pants cleaner. Don't carry more than you need. You can leave a lot of it in your trunk. You can wash your finds when you get back there. Carrying a lot of things that you never use wears you out sooner. Travel light.

If your on a beach

If your on a beach, a long handle scoop saves you from bending over. If your near a beach you may find hunting there more pleasurable, because its easier to get to the treasure.

I've only been beepin for about 4 months....my father-in-law gave me his tector, luckily he is about my height, so I didnt have to adjust the length, but, my arms were hurting, just have to get use to it:D

My palm also hurt from the digger's handle, I just put a folded up handkerchief in my gloves, works great!:yes:

Also, MDing has helped me loose like 15 pounds....without me even noticing, until today when I put my belt on and realized I was 2 holes thinner:D WOO HOO!!

Just stick with it....you'll get use to the activity, then the aches will disappear:yes:

HAPPY HUNTING!!

Plug cutters are good if your in some nice deep Turf.
I made one out of a Chalking Gun and never use it.

Long Handled shovels are nice, but I still end up on my knees.
Digging and Probing or Coin Popping is hard to do standing up.

Some Mechanic Gloves have Padding in the Palms.
A pair of knee pads, or a Foam Gardening Mat is nice.

Each location has it's own terrain and way to recover targets.
I use a Army Duffle Bag for all the Scoops and Shovels I got.

Well all that I wanted to tell you has been said above,but also you can try to do some basic warming up exercises before starting to swing ,elbow and shoulder rotations etc. look it up on youtube.Since metal detecting is an exercise you need to start it from a warm up and don't forget to do some stretching as well ,this should help you to get in shape faster and lessen the pain ,also don't over do it ,and also don't detect for to long till you get used to it ,best of luck and HH:)

Looks like alot of thought went into your list.

The Pro-Pointer is great and comes with its own sheath.

I don't know much about the other pin-pointer, but don't know why you would need more then the 3-4 inches that you get from the Pro-Pointer.

I always use a glove on the hand that pushes the trowel into the ground to prevent soreness in the palm.

Knee pads are a must have........don't get them so tight that they cut off the blood to you feet.

I also use the Leshe digger for cutting the sod/grass but, I also carry a long handled digger that will dig the deep targets.

I also use the long handled digger to push myself up off my knees.

Attachments

• trowel_138-300s_f.jpg
    trowel_138-300s_f.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 507
Many good suggestions here. I will be 64 soon and there are days that the weight of the machine bothers more than others but I swing an E-trac and have used my DFX the past 2 years. It does make the arm ache sometimes but the exercise is the benefit you get from the hobby and to quote a friend the people are the real "treasure" you seek. The money is just the icing on the cake.
One thing to keep in mind about the Pistol probe. With everything that's going on now, someone may mistake the probe for a small pistol in the park. I prefer the Garrett's as it has went as deep as 3" if you are directly over a coin and it doesn't interfear with the detector siginal wise--at least not the E-trac. After 35 years of detecting I can't wait to see the next target--good or bad. It's my job to listen to the machine and let it help me decide if I dig or not. Hang in there now and success will come with the experience.
HH and :goodluck:

I built the handle of my digging knife up with leather and the covered it with electrical tape, and then liquid tape. The wider surface doesn't hurt like a narrower one does.
Premio2.gif

I'm getting in my mid-40s and the first few times I hunt after not doing it for a while I get sore legs and sholders for a couple of days. After a few times out I get back in shape and can go for hours. It is great exercise for sure.

Thanks for the advice!!!

I know I'm a NEWBIE but didn't know how ingnorant I really was....much thanks for ALL the advice. I've already changed my checklist, bought some gloves, got some knee pads, starting to set up a "warm up" routine, and am thinking of getting a wagon to pull at parks so I won't be hauling so much stuff on my bacl or with my wife. Looking into 'diggers', etc. THANKS!

willgo

for Sandtrout: I'm not the one to be giving advice,I only joined today I don't even have my detecter yet, on top of all that, I'll be 71 on Saturday. not in the best of shape, but I'm sure I will wonder why I decided to pick this hobby. Whenever I got excited about things I have done I went over the top, worked too hard, climbed too high, drove too hard, slept too little, lifted too much etc, etc. Now I find if I'm exceeding my capabilities I take it down a notch, WORK SMARTER not HARDER Slow down & enjoy the hunt.The rewards will still be there.--- Bill

Sandtrout, 71 plus here.Swinging since yesterday, 1960. The Garrett pin pointer is the one.Just got it and wondered why I was so stupid not to listen to everyone who said GET ONE..I am going to have a pipe and T handle welded to my trowel.Easier to get in ground, dig with and use for a crutch geting up. Sharpen the edges of your trowel....Speaking of getting down, carry a 5 gallon bucket, hole in top for junk, sit on it. You can still reach down and easier to get up. I am going to find a round duffle bag. pack it with foam, hang it on my belt, and use that as my kneeler .The foot off the ground will be easy down, easy up, with soft kneeling in the middle....The bungiee cord to balance the detector, Find a guy named Sling Shot, I think he designed one , cheap and easy to build.He posted pictures some place. when you find them, let me know. Ground is frozen here. Can't wait to get out. Take care,be safe,:) and good luck, Cordially Nad

Back
Top Bottom