Homemade probe for shallow targets

yellowk9

Old Phillips screwdriver. Grinder used to round tip. Coated the end with rubberized spray paint (similar to tool handles). We'll see how functional (scratching coins?) and durable it turns out to be.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

Picture

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361228882865.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361228882865.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 907
Please educate me. Is brass softer than silver? I assume a brass probe wouldn't scratch a silver coin? What about aluminum. I have some small diameter aluminum rods that I could use if that's soft enough.

The screwdriver I posted was a cheapo that was already worn out. I couldn't bear to sacrifice one of my nicer screwdrivers. I'll find an old flathead at the local flea market and try the rubberized coating on it.

It is just my opinion, but I prefer a stainless steel probe. I am only using it on coins in the top 3" or so.

I like the stainless because it does not bend easily. If I encounter an object, I will often times apply enough pressure to punch through aluminum. This allows me to abort the recovery and move on.

I use a stainless steel probe too… A stainless steel chopstick to be exact :yes:

Interesting. I'd never considered that, but good idea.

I am using a Jimmy Sierra coin probe (http://www.jimmysierra.com/tools_coinpopprobeC.html). Cost a lot more, but the handle is - um - handy :) I've had it a long time - I keep thinking that I should order another as Mr. Sierra isn't a young pup anymore.

Back
Top Bottom