The hunt for Clad and self respect.

StPetePaulie

This morning's hunt was another 3 hour early morning swing through another dry sand cabana area that I suspected had been neglected....at least by the Nox users...LOL. Anyways... SIX DOLLARS and 38 CENTS ! It's my personal best clad day for sure. In the last 2 1/2 weeks that makes 43.73 in clad from similar spots on the beach. I'm only 2.47 cents from my change goal for this year. Truthfully, though, the reason I been so on fire :o) is that my friend from the North is coming soon for his 6 month stay in St Pete. I wanted to make sure the beaches were "clean" for him or else how I could I respect myself as a metal detectorist? :laughing:

Attachments

• 6 dollar 38.jpg
    6 dollar 38.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 708
Hey! where did that Beer Tab come from...

Oh there are so many beer tabs / soda tabs on this beach. This year so far, I've found 1357 of those. 2300 bottle caps. I'm finally starting to recognize bottle caps pretty well and the pull tabs are easy to spot....you know, it's either a pull tab or gold.....and by my calculations so far, by using what I've found as a data group to pull from, I've determined that the odds of finding gold instead of a pull tab at the ole 13/14 signal on the Nox is roughly 0% .

... Truthfully, though, the reason I been so on fire :o) is that my friend from the North is coming soon for his 6 month stay in St Pete. I wanted to make sure the beaches were "clean" for him or else how I could I respect myself as a metal detectorist? :laughing:
You are achieving "piratedom"! :pirate2:

Your ratio of trash to gold is hard to swallow. Do you ever drive to other beaches ? Some are just bad. I will drive 70 miles hitting numerous beaches. But sometimes it's just bad everywhere.

Your ratio of trash to gold is hard to swallow. Do you ever drive to other beaches ? Some are just bad. I will drive 70 miles hitting numerous beaches. But sometimes it's just bad everywhere.

My options are limited as I only have whatever time I carve out before I have to be at work to spend metal detecting. The weekends are for hanging out with my wife or recording music with my friend and on the rare occasion playing some golf but mostly hanging out with my wife.

Also I'm mostly dry sand / wet sand hunting because it's usually dark when I go (or feeding time...as some call it). One good thing about the pull tabs is that now I have a big jar full of them and one day will make somebody having a pull tab fund raising drive pretty happy.

I have the rest of the year to focus on gold / silver only ....so I'll be staying out of the dry sand . BUT I was close and I really wanted to make my change goal for the year.....maybe weird....but anyway...that's done. Next year I think I will only have a gold and a silver goal....or maybe no goals at all ...except to find the next treasure....and the one after that.

I cant believe you counted them all. :laughing:

LOL Well I didn't count them all at once. I have an Excel spreadsheet with all of my metal detecting goals on it even pull tabs and bottle caps...and keys...and phones.....and other random stuff.

It's not surprising that I would like to do other weird stuff besides metal detecting. :lol: I like to keep track of things. One of the other things I really like to do is use my rock tumbler. So that makes finding crusty ole coins enjoyable too.

I gotta do what I gotta do to keep me motivated enough to get my butt up at 4 in the morning 3 or 5 days a week after about 4 hours sleep. I have jars full of hot wheels too !

Anyways, I'm a metal detectorist....so you shouldn't be surprised that there is other "odd" stuff that I do.

I mean are any of us "normal" ? I like to think we are not.

Nice round up on the clad, gas money!

Thanks ! But not gas money. That's what my regular job is for. The treasures I find are all for me and my jars ! And eventually the bank....and then eventually for the next new metal detector I have to get. Can't start deducting stuff like gas money...or breakfast ! That would take some of the fun out of it and I can't let that happen !

I've heard life is difficult in the US of A. You do not have loonies or toonies.

Well we do have one dollar coins but they are seldom used. I have found 4 of those over the last year and a half. Definitely no 2 dollar coins. So yes, it is a struggle down here. I imagine that you Canadian folks are accustomed to finding 6.38 in clad for a day's hunt. I'm not mad :lol:. So what is an average amount of clad that you might find on a hunt ? Go ahead, tell me. I will brace myself. :lol:

StPetePaulie, I had to go to my spreadsheet to answer your question. I am sure every pirate on this forum has a spreadsheet:p The summary for 92 days of summer says: 27 hunts, 2.3 hours average hunt, CAD11.17 average per hunt. So not that much different from your result, if we take into account the exchange rate.

StPetePaulie, I had to go to my spreadsheet to answer your question. I am sure every pirate on this forum has a spreadsheet:p The summary for 92 days of summer says: 27 hunts, 2.3 hours average hunt, CAD11.17 average per hunt. So not that much different from your result, if we take into account the exchange rate.

Well every pirate SHOULD have a spreadsheet ! :lol:

So far this year : 139 hunts, 2.5 hours per hunt, average of 1.79 per hunt. I don't even think the exchange rate can help me with that total. :p

Sorta depressing when I break it down like that. And yet I still cannot wait to get back out there...except not today....today I have to have breakfast with my wife...and not over Thanksgiving 'cause my kid is coming in from Austin, TX for the rest of the week. Damn....gonna be Sunday before I can go again and I don't ususally go on the weekends....but no way I can wait until Monday !

Well every pirate SHOULD have a spreadsheet ! :lol:

So far this year : 139 hunts, 2.5 hours per hunt, average of 1.79 per hunt. I don't even think the exchange rate can help me with that total. :p

Sorta depressing when I break it down like that. And yet I still cannot wait to get back out there...except not today....today I have to have breakfast with my wife...and not over Thanksgiving 'cause my kid is coming in from Austin, TX for the rest of the week. Damn....gonna be Sunday before I can go again and I don't ususally go on the weekends....but no way I can wait until Monday !
But you do remember that fun is priceless.

But you do remember that fun is priceless.[/QUOTE

Yes, I sure do ! Metal detecting is fun....and it also helps me stay positive and happy and gives me something to think about while I'm working the rest of the day. I do other fun things too. One of the reasons I go so early in the morning and only during the week is so it doesn't take time away from hanging out with my girlfriend/wife/boss. I am a multifaceted individual :laughing:. I am looking forward to my son's visit. It's been too long since we saw him. I am expecting a pretty intense hug for sure ! So HAPPY THANKSGIVING !! I know....you're in Canada so HAPPY BELATED THANKSGIVING !

Back
Top Bottom