Nice to know airbags protect us ...NOT

Pulltabby

Forum Supporter
The airbag maker Takata continues to expand its massive parts recall by recalling an additional 3.3 million airbags.

According to reports from CBS, the latest addition to the recall includes airbags from some 2009, 2010 and 2013 vehicles made by Honda, Toyota, Audi, BMW, Daimler, Fiat Chrysler, Ford, General Motors, Jaguar-Land Rover, Mazda, Mercedes-Benz, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Subaru and Tesla.

....we are paying through the nose for cars to end up with this? oh well what could be worse then the exploding Pinto gas tank or the Vega with
the grenade motors.

The airbag maker Takata continues to expand its massive parts recall by recalling an additional 3.3 million airbags.

According to reports from CBS, the latest addition to the recall includes airbags from some 2009, 2010 and 2013 vehicles made by Honda, Toyota, Audi, BMW, Daimler, Fiat Chrysler, Ford, General Motors, Jaguar-Land Rover, Mazda, Mercedes-Benz, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Subaru and Tesla.

....we are paying through the nose for cars to end up with this? oh well what could be worse then the exploding Pinto gas tank or the Vega with
the grenade motors.

Actually Takata just makes the explosive cartridge used to expand the airbag. It is unfortunate that, due to its very purpose, each cartridge can not be 100% tested prior to shipment. Granted, they could have increased the number of samples, pulled at random from each manufacturing lot, for thorough testing prior to shipping the lot to airbag manufacturers.

Actually Takata just makes the explosive cartridge used to expand the airbag. It is unfortunate that, due to its very purpose, each cartridge can not be 100% tested prior to shipment. Granted, they could have increased the number of samples, pulled at random from each manufacturing lot, for thorough testing prior to shipping the lot to airbag manufacturers.

True, but seems Takata solvency is up for grabs...heck we are driving cars with airbags that could kill us fast as a hand grenade, profit before safety it appears.

14% of usa car recalls is just the tip of iceberg, they are handling weather related parts of the country first...live in a colder climate last on the recalls.

I read about this a few months ago.
Remember back when we started closing all the steel mills around the country. Well , where do you think we've been getting our steel. Yep , China and Japan. Well , a few months ago , I read an article where the structural integrity and requirements of the steel we have been buying from them , has been forged information. They have found that the steel structural data has been faked , and it is weaker than the requirements needed for the projects it has been used for.
So now you know what's going on when all of our new high rise buildings and bridges start falling to the ground , and everybody starts blaming the builders.

Diggermd, if you got a recall notice i would go in and get it replaced. Nothing could ruin your day much worse than going highway speeds and having the thing go off in your face...

True, but seems Takata solvency is up for grabs...heck we are driving cars with airbags that could kill us fast as a hand grenade, profit before safety it appears.

14% of usa car recalls is just the tip of iceberg, they are handling weather related parts of the country first...live in a colder climate last on the recalls.

You said two main things in your post, let me address them separately, as others that are
affected, may not know all the information.

Takata, the manufacturer at the center of the world's largest auto safety recall,
filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in the United States back in June of last year.
The company also filed for bankruptcy protection in Japan, where it is based.

Takata and its financial advisers have determined that it owes too much money
to too many people to survive. But instead of abruptly closing shop, the company
is dismantling itself in stages.

First, it will sell its assets (its factories, mainly) to a rival company, Key Safety Systems,
which is based in Michigan. Then it will use the money from the sale, about $1.6 billion,
to pay down its debts and settle legal claims. A small remnant of Takata would then
emerge from bankruptcy, primarily to handle the replacement of the airbag inflaters.

Much of the work will now take place in courts in the United States and Japan. They will
be settling disputes by different groups that are seeking money from the company, like
banks, carmakers and accident victims who are suing for damages. In court filings, Takata
said it hoped to win court approval for its reorganization by the end of March.

The recalled airbags are those that have ammonium-nitrate inflaters without a chemical
drying agent to counteract a moisture problem. Moisture and extreme temperature swings
accelerate the possible breakdown, thus the geographical emphasis in staging the recalls.
However, the government has said that even those models that contain the drying agent
could be recalled in the future if the moisture issue is still causing ruptures.

To date, 42 million vehicles are being recalled to replace airbag inflaters.

Which automakers are affected?
The Takata airbag recall involves the following list of manufacturers:

• BMW
  • Chrysler
  • Daimler Trucks North America
  • Daimler Vans USA
  • Ferrari
  • Ford
  • General Motors
  • Honda
  • Mazda
  • Mercedes-Benz
  • Mitsubishi
  • Nissan
  • Subaru
  • Toyota
  • Volkswagen
  • Jaguar/Land Rover

If you drive a vehicle from somebody else, you are probably safe.

I have an older car that I bought used. I don't even know if it still has an airbag. I read reports of mechanics removing them and selling them.

Back
Top Bottom