• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Holy smokes!! Found a Love Token Today!!

Schweddy

Elite Member
Hello all. Today I went to beat a dead horse at the site where I found two seated dimes, a 2 cent piece and a small tribe of Indians. Also some modern silver and a bunch of wheats. This was my 3rd hunt there and wasn't expecting much, but hopes remained high.
Long story short(er), I got a penny signal fairly deep, but it seemed the pitch on the Etrac was a little higher. Ended up being this beautiful silver dime love token. I've been hoping for one of these for years, but assumed I'd never find one. Unfortunately the backside is too damaged to reveal the variety of dime. That's some sort of cement/glue stuck to the backside. It must have been fastened to some sort of pendant.
I also dug my second ever shield nickel. This one is much more identifiable than my first(believe it or not). Still no date, but definitely a shield nickel.
Thanks for reading everyone and good luck!!

Attachments

• IMG_3201.jpg
    IMG_3201.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 646
  • IMG_3202.jpg
    IMG_3202.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 621
  • IMG_3197.jpg
    IMG_3197.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 612
  • IMG_3198.jpg
    IMG_3198.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 606
Last edited:
Totally AMAZING Schweddy!
Huge congratulations on the love token, that is my holy grail, and I covet one even morethan a gold coin!
I have a collection of over thirty such love tokens now and can barely comprehend digging one.
I would say there is a 90% chance yours was a seated dime, as that time period is when most love tokens were made:yes:

Attachments

• Love tokens.jpg
    Love tokens.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 594
Huge congratulations on the love token, that is my holy grail, and I covet one even morethan a gold coin!
I have a collection of over thirty such love tokens now and can barely comprehend digging one.
I would say there is a 90% chance yours was a seated dime, as that time period is when most love tokens were made:yes:

Woah, Matt! That's one heckuva nice collection you have there! I too was thinking it was likely a seated, especially since I found two others at that site. Normally I'm obsessive for specifics, numbers and categorization. But with this find, I don't mind not knowing. It's a beauty, it's old, it's personalized and most of all - it's mine. Lovin it!!

That's quite an awesome collection of love tokens you've got there matmit! How did you amass such a large collection?

Tokens rock! What did this ring up as out of curiosity? You mentioned deep penny which, on my A400, would be 79-82 (bounces if copper, holds around 78-79 if a Zincoln). Thanks!

Congratulations on the love token and the shield nickel. I may be mistaken but looks like last two numbers on the nickel are 69.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Tokens rock! What did this ring up as out of curiosity? You mentioned deep penny which, on my A400, would be 79-82 (bounces if copper, holds around 78-79 if a Zincoln). Thanks!

Thanks! Normally on the Etrac, a silver dime rings up in the 45 range(2nd #), and the pitch is significantly higher than a clad dime or copper penny. This rang in around 42, but the pitch was more like a silver dime. Normally 42-43 is a pre '82 Lincoln penny. That being said, I've found that nearly all "old" silver dimes ring in slightly below normal(45). They're either worn down or been in the ground so long that they've "leached out" and become less viable. I dunno, I'm just a pirate.

Thanks! Normally on the Etrac, a silver dime rings up in the 45 range(2nd #), and the pitch is significantly higher than a clad dime or copper penny. This rang in around 42, but the pitch was more like a silver dime. Normally 42-43 is a pre '82 Lincoln penny. That being said, I've found that nearly all "old" silver dimes ring in slightly below normal(45). They're either worn down or been in the ground so long that they've "leached out" and become less viable. I dunno, I'm just a pirate.

Good to know. Thanks again and congrats! :cool:

That's quite an awesome collection of love tokens you've got there matmit! How did you amass such a large collection?

One at a time:lol::laughing::laughing:

Seriously though, I believe I bought my first at a coin show.
I found a few on fleabay and most of the others at coin shops.

It comes in streaks, I have not bought any for about a year now.

Hello all. Today I went to beat a dead horse at the site where I found two seated dimes, a 2 cent piece and a small tribe of Indians. Also some modern silver and a bunch of wheats. This was my 3rd hunt there and wasn't expecting much, but hopes remained high.
Long story short(er), I got a penny signal fairly deep, but it seemed the pitch on the Etrac was a little higher. Ended up being this beautiful silver dime love token. I've been hoping for one of these for years, but assumed I'd never find one. Unfortunately the backside is too damaged to reveal the variety of dime. That's some sort of cement/glue stuck to the backside. It must have been fastened to some sort of pendant.
I also dug my second ever shield nickel. This one is much more identifiable than my first(believe it or not). Still no date, but definitely a shield nickel.
Thanks for reading everyone and good luck!!

Well, dang.. CooL!

Back
Top Bottom