What's going on with this penny?

volksbeetle28

So I brought a jar of change to the coin machine at the bank today and this penny came back in the reject tray. On the obverse I can not make any text. On the reverse you can make out "one cent". It appears to be copper and not zinc. However it only weighs 2.5 grams and has the diameter of a dime. Error or PMD? It's weird, never seen anything like it.
e3a09a335678d7e18681a6e485b4d1a0.jpg
b1539e2ad468c48c05c8d980a1640b6c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it thinner than a penny? It should be copper if it was made before 1982, but if it was a defective, thin and defective planchet (blank coin disc) that was struck, it might look like your coin. It did not fill the dies and the detail did not strike. If it is the same diameter as a cent coin, and measures a small amount, a few thousanths of an inch, undersize in thickness, I believe that is what it is.

If it weighs the same as a cent, it could be that the dies were not set correctly to strike the coin and they released the coin before fully striking it, and did not impress the lettering and detail.

Could be struck through grease. The coins looks like it still has rims. Based on the amount of wear it has I would expect the rims to be gone.

The coins looks like it still has rims. Based on the amount of wear it has I would expect the rims to be gone.

There is not wear on the coin... it is a very "soft strike" the detail never was on the coin. The dies are not adjusted correctly.

Back
Top Bottom