• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

What is Clad?

Clothes? :wow: Outer Cover ?

People Are Detecting For Clothes?:laughing:

Yeah! well, some of us...Big money selling clothes!...I got $40 for that 'distressed Leather Jacket! Thats like picking up a pair of Morgans! Plus, there were two gift cards in the pocket! Worth a Standing Q!
Its Amazing how many nice garments a guy finds out wandering around! Half of my wardrobe and footwear is 'Clad' finds!

Generally though, Clad is modern coins, no PM, just face value....Although, a Hunter can focus on becoming a Mega Claddie. Its a viable and honorable skill to perfect! In the right area, you can do pretty good...(See AtProDudes tableshot?) Or a general purpose all value scavenger...Clad of any kind keeps the tank full!:laughing:

Attachments

• apr 24-16-3.jpg
    apr 24-16-3.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 80
  • brad 2.jpg
    brad 2.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 81
  • july 12-15.jpg
    july 12-15.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 81
  • mar 30-16.jpg
    mar 30-16.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 80
  • aug 18-16-3.jpg
    aug 18-16-3.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Truthfully, we are probably some of the only people who call coins "clad". And its really just a nickname, nothing more.
We're not the only ones......coin collectors refer to those coins as clad also....The nickname has been around since the coins first started being minted.

Just remember, Halves from 1964 - 1970 are clad but SILVER CLAD. Some 1971 D are silver clad also and all the silver clad are worth more than our regular clad coins.
1971 Half dollars are not silver clad. You're thinking of the 1970-D which were only available in government issued mint sets.

Yes, you are MOSTLY correct. HOWEVER, here is one:

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-c...edy-half-struck-in-40-percent-silver.all.html

Does that mean there might be more? Seems strange that only one blank planchet found its way into the 1971 batch? I doubt it.
This is not a regular issue coin but a mint error similar to the 1943 copper cents and the 1944 steel cents. My post was referring to "official" coins, but thanks for the article showing the 1971-D

This is not a regular issue coin but a mint error similar to the 1943 copper cents and the 1944 steel cents. My post was referring to "official" coins, but thanks for the article showing the 1971-D

I bet you would like to find one if you searched coin rolls. I bet you wouldn't pass up a 1943 copper penny either!

But yes official coins you are 100% correct.

Now that you know what clad is,I recently purchased a new ACE 400.Found my first Silver of the year.A 1939 Quarter and a lot of CLAD..)..Good luck and enjoy
that ACE 400.I got the 5 X 8 coil and love it.Sold my 8.5 X 11 on ebay.The 5 X 8 is much better for what I do.

Its Amazing how many nice garments a guy finds out wandering around! Half of my wardrobe and footwear is 'Clad' finds!

...Clad of any kind keeps the tank full!:laughing:

Mud, that last picture of you in the blouse is SCARY! I hope you don't go out into public like that. :D

Now that you know what clad is,I recently purchased a new ACE 400.Found my first Silver of the year.A 1939 Quarter and a lot of CLAD..)..Good luck and enjoy
that ACE 400.I got the 5 X 8 coil and love it.Sold my 8.5 X 11 on ebay.The 5 X 8 is much better for what I do.

I hope to get out soon again to try my knife and pick with Ace:yes:

Yeah! well, some of us...Big money selling clothes!...I got $40 for that 'distressed Leather Jacket! Thats like picking up a pair of Morgans! Plus, there were two gift cards in the pocket! Worth a Standing Q!

Generally though, Clad is modern coins, no PM, just face value....Although, a Hunter can focus on becoming a Mega Claddie. Its a viable and honorable skill to perfect! In the right area, you can do pretty good...(See AtProDudes tableshot?) Or a general purpose all value scavenger...Clad of any kind keeps the tank full!:laughing:

Another Good One :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Most everyone I know that ask me about what I find metal detecting, friends, family, co-workers, etc... have all asked me the same question "What is clad" So I think it was a very legit question to ask.

Yes very legit and question answered..

Back
Top Bottom