Bought the CTX3030 today and I'm overwhelmed by it!

sandgroper

Elite Member
Two days ago I spotted a near-new CTX3030 on Gumtree (Gumtree is an Australian buy/swap/sell website) for $2000AUD ($1490usd). The detector was only used a few times by her father-in-law, and as he passed away, they inherited it and decided to sell it. I bargained the detector down to $1800AUD ($1341USD), and now it's mine! I'm so happy, but I've got a lot to learn! (Need to update my signature now!)

5 minutes after buying it, I decided to try it out on a small playground and found a whopping 15c! :lol: I already know I'll be using it a lot in the future!

Wow, that is a good deal for that model, congrats !!!!! (did a quick search and saw one (new) that cost about $1000 more !)

You said you found 15 cents found so far, so only $1340.85 USD more to go to pay for it :lol: (just being funny :lol: )

I just did a search and Minelab has a page with 40 videos on the CTX3030 so maybe that can help speed up the learning process -

This link goes to the list of 40 CTX3030 videos -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erXZjWezCl4&list=PLED1B3FC3C75E70C4

Here is the first of the 40 videos from the above link -

I too found the CTX to be over-whelming. And this is coming from the Explorer II. So it wasn't the SOUNDS that over-whelmed me (they were very akin to the Explorer after all). It was the menus and control navigating.

If you're finding the sounds themselves to be over-whelming: Try hooking up with someone proficient in your area . Ie.: someone who routinely comes in with deep oldies. Have them flag suspected deep silver/wheatie signals. Then you swing over the flagged spots. That will greatly increase the learning speed. So you know the type signals you're trying to isolate.

Otherwise, the tooty-fluty orchestra can drive you nuts at first. Everything will sound the same it will seem.

Wow, that is a good deal for that model, congrats !!!!! (did a quick search and saw one (new) that cost about $1000 more !)

You said you found 15 cents found so far, so only $1340.85 USD more to go to pay for it :lol: (just being funny :lol: )

I just did a search and Minelab has a page with 40 videos on the CTX3030 so maybe that can help speed up the learning process -

This link goes to the list of 40 CTX3030 videos -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erXZjWezCl4&list=PLED1B3FC3C75E70C4

Here is the first of the 40 videos from the above link -

Thanks GKL, that's also what I said to my dad, $1799.85 left to go! :lol: I have not seen those videos, so I'll probably binge-watch them over the next week or two! Thanks for the link!

I too found the CTX to be over-whelming. And this is coming from the Explorer II. So it wasn't the SOUNDS that over-whelmed me (they were very akin to the Explorer after all). It was the menus and control navigating.

If you're finding the sounds themselves to be over-whelming: Try hooking up with someone proficient in your area . Ie.: someone who routinely comes in with deep oldies. Have them flag suspected deep silver/wheatie signals. Then you swing over the flagged spots. That will greatly increase the learning speed. So you know the type signals you're trying to isolate.

Otherwise, the tooty-fluty orchestra can drive you nuts at first. Everything will sound the same it will seem.

I'm currently reading the manual to learn the menu and controls, and there is a lot to memorise! But I think I'll get there eventually. At the moment I'm just waiting for the battery to charge, so I can then 'explore' the setting. I have watched some youtube videos before, where the detectorist was using a CTX, so I'm somewhat familiar with the tones!

I got my new to me 3030 a couple of months ago. It seems a lot to learn and I suppose it is, but after you use it a bit you'll get the hang of it. It's actually fairly user-friendly!

The main thing is to just get out and hunt with it and get accustomed to the control panel. You'll get it in no time. :yes:

If yours doesn't have a screen protector I'd add one first thing! Mine had none and came with a few scratches from the previous owner.

I got my new to me 3030 a couple of months ago. It seems a lot to learn and I suppose it is, but after you use it a bit you'll get the hang of it. It's actually fairly user-friendly!

The main thing is to just get out and hunt with it and get accustomed to the control panel. You'll get it in no time. :yes:

If yours doesn't have a screen protector I'd add one first thing! Mine had none and came with a few scratches from the previous owner.

Ditto

Congratulations on that Outstanding Find! Top shelf rig! This should be an exciting adventure for you Mate!

Thanks Mud! I can't wait to get out next weekend!

Mine doesn't have a screen protector, so thanks for letting me know about that! I already know how to turn down the volume down, because it was on full blast when I turned it on!

Congrats, great buy. Hey, if I can use one, anyone can. I'm one of those guys that still believe; if I push the wrong button, the machine will stop working and burn up. I got over that. Watch the CTX videos, especially the Minelab vids. Get Andy Sabisch's book and it'll all work out.

Congrats on a stellar machine! You'll be pretty impressed in a little bit,I'm quite sure of that! Learn how to navigate around the controls,it's really really really important to be able to hop around without too much trouble. And...it won't blow up. YOU might blow up,but IT won't...:lol:

CTX is actually easy after you use it a while. I will say if you beach hunt and you get some ground noise the balance doesn't stop. Try cutting the detector off and back on with the coil sitting on the ground. Not sure if it works on everybodys? But it works on some trouble spots we have here I tried to teach a couple friends about that don't listen.:roll: Mine stays in auto +3.

Congrats, great buy. Hey, if I can use one, anyone can. I'm one of those guys that still believe; if I push the wrong button, the machine will stop working and burn up. I got over that. Watch the CTX videos, especially the Minelab vids. Get Andy Sabisch's book and it'll all work out.

Thanks for the advice flyguy! I've been busy watching the minelab videos, and I'll also have a look at Andy's book!

Congrats on the CTX!

Thank you Rattlehead! I'm already looking forward to my first 'proper' hunt on Saturday!

Congrats on a stellar machine! You'll be pretty impressed in a little bit,I'm quite sure of that! Learn how to navigate around the controls,it's really really really important to be able to hop around without too much trouble. And...it won't blow up. YOU might blow up,but IT won't...:lol:

Thanks IDX! This morning I learnt what the FE CO numbers tell me about the target, and I'm already impressed! I can't wait to learn about all the other features!

CTX is actually easy after you use it a while. I will say if you beach hunt and you get some ground noise the balance doesn't stop. Try cutting the detector off and back on with the coil sitting on the ground. Not sure if it works on everybodys? But it works on some trouble spots we have here I tried to teach a couple friends about that don't listen.:roll: Mine stays in auto +3.

Thanks for the advice itsaring! I'm planning to hunt on the beach with this machine in the future, so if it gets too noisy, I'll try what you've told me! Thanks!

Congrats on the new Minelab, I love my old Sovereign Elite! VIVA LA MINELAB!!!:lol::yes:

Thanks you metal addict! :)

Back
Top Bottom