Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Sunspot Scoops
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Beach and Water Hunting

Old 11-06-2018, 09:18 PM
A Knight of the Round Coil

Default No Gold but Itís About the Apples!

Went for a South Beach hunt today, leaving work early for the 1pm low tide. 30 minutes into the hunt, I got a target and looked down and thought I saw sun-glass legs showing through the sand. When I finally scooped it up I noticed a nice Apple watch in the scoop! (The wife just bought a refurbished one from best Buy this week for $250). Hopefully this one will work and she can return the other. An hour later, I get another sound and I notice this target has a big footprint. After 2 scoops, I come up with an iPhone in a wet dry bag that obviously did not do its job as there is sand and water in it. I know the phone is toast but is still sell-able. I hunted for a total of 4 hours with few targets, but I did manage that silver ring towards the end. When I got home and took the phone out of the case I noticed all the credit cards that were in it. Too bad it wasnít cash. Hopefully, the Apple watch will work and I can give it to the wife, but if not it goes for sale with the phone.
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2018, 09:42 PM
24K Larry

Way to go! We are so sanded in and are lacking tourists i got three Felix zincs today

Old 11-06-2018, 09:44 PM

Nice watch, I hope it works. Where do you sell broken phones? Surely your not talking about those machines in malls and Walmartís?

Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring and 1876 love token

Old 11-06-2018, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by L0S3R View post
Nice watch, I hope it works. Where do you sell broken phones? Surely your not talking about those machines in malls and Walmartís?
Ebay

Old 11-06-2018, 11:51 PM
OldCherryPicker

Like the title, It's about the Apples..and it is!

Old 11-07-2018, 03:59 PM
Elite Member

Nice finds cat man. Looks like Apple was good to you. Hope you turn them into cash.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:34 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by FelixtheCat View post
Ebay
How much do you usually get for a broken iPhone? (I don't know much about phones, but I'm guessing people buy these flooded phones for parts or something like that?)

Detectors: CTX 3030, X-Terra70, Pro-Find 25 Oldest Coin: 1866 English Penny
2018 totals: $1780.51AUD (637x$2, 337x$1, 101x50c, 273x20c, 337x10c, 463x5c, 329x2c, 498x1c) and 208 foreign, collectable or older Australian/English (pre-decimal) coins.
"Swing till your ears ring!"

Old 11-07-2018, 04:29 PM

You should be able to find the owner in the menu of the watch and possibly return it.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:11 PM

nice finds an apple a day keeps the doc away 2 apples in one day maybe some sand will go away i hope soon

Old 11-07-2018, 06:25 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Beachhunter View post
You should be able to find the owner in the menu of the watch and possibly return it.
I am assuming the Credit Cards had a name on it..

if he REALLY wanted to find them then...

Old 11-07-2018, 06:56 PM

Or...to be the devils advocate.....just cut the cards and sell the damages stuff!

Old 11-07-2018, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Beachhunter View post
The watch wont charge on my wife's Apple watch charger so it might be a goner. This is what I found for looking up its' water resistance capabilities:

"Apple Watch Series 3 has a water resistance rating of 50 meters under ISO standard 22810:2010. This means that it may be used for shallow-water activities like swimming in a pool or ocean".

But then I also found "Liquid damage not covered under warranty".

SO WHAT GIVES APPLE? IS IT WATERPROOF OR NOT? Evidently, it's not!

Originally Posted by SoOregonMd View post
I am assuming the Credit Cards had a name on it.. if he REALLY wanted to find them then...
I contacted Student Relations at Chatham University this morning and gave them my name and phone number for her to contact me. I really think that phone has been lost for over for over a week. It's and iPhone 5 and it's toast. Not much value there in that condition but I will put it up for sale and may get a bit for it. I assume she cancelled all the credit cards and probably has replacements already, in addition to a new student id. My call was to let her know that I found her stuff so that she could feel at ease and if she wanted any of the cards or id mailed back. I suspect she wont.

Old 11-08-2018, 03:49 AM
Elite Member

Very interesting finds! You never know what you'll get!

Old 11-08-2018, 09:27 AM
Supporter

Wow, some nice finds there. Too bad they are toasted but nice job on that silver ring!

Custom AT Pro w/Remote PP & NEL Snake 3.5x6.5 Coil

Old 11-08-2018, 10:26 AM
Supporter

I contacted Student Relations at Chatham University this morning and gave them my name and phone number for her to contact me. I really think that phone has been lost for over for over a week. It's and iPhone 5 and it's toast. Not much value there in that condition but I will put it up for sale and may get a bit for it. I assume she cancelled all the credit cards and probably has replacements already, in addition to a new student id. My call was to let her know that I found her stuff so that she could feel at ease and if she wanted any of the cards or id mailed back. I suspect she wont.
Two nice finds, and what you did is awesome. My friend Karen found an Apple watch but it works but its locked so can't use it?

Old 11-08-2018, 10:51 AM
Elite Member

Congrats on the nice finds! Bummer that the Apple Watch is toast. Chatham University is right near me.

White's TREASUREpro

Old 11-08-2018, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Kapi View post
Two nice finds, and what you did is awesome. My friend Karen found an Apple watch but it works but its locked so can't use it?
Thanks! I'd rather find a working locked anything than something that's toasted. I am sure that if she put it up for sale even locked she would get some nice $. Has she Googled "resetting a locked Apple Watch"?

Old 11-08-2018, 02:18 PM
Administrator

The watch wont charge on my wife's Apple watch charger so it might be a goner. This is what I found for looking up its' water resistance capabilities:

"Apple Watch Series 3 has a water resistance rating of 50 meters under ISO standard 22810:2010. This means that it may be used for shallow-water activities like swimming in a pool or ocean".

But then I also found "Liquid damage not covered under warranty".

SO WHAT GIVES APPLE? IS IT WATERPROOF OR NOT? Evidently, it's not!

I think you should sue Apple for false advertising .. just send in your warranty and point out where it says its waterproof down to 50 meters... oh you don't have the warranty card? You aren't the owner? You are out of luck Felix Throw it in the trash with those worthless decrepit Felix pennies

Banned Spammers 789

Old 11-08-2018, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Cfmct View post
I think you should sue Apple for false advertising .. just send in your warranty and point out where it says its waterproof down to 50 meters... oh you don't have the warranty card? You aren't the owner? You are out of luck Felix Throw it in the trash with those worthless decrepit Felix pennies
Let's make a bet on that it sells toasted "as is" on Ebay?

Old 11-09-2018, 06:20 PM
Elite Member

anything is better than nothing. if you get 25.00 profit then you are ahead of the game.