Your thoughts on selling loot...

Ice Scratcher

Elite Member
I have a local place that pays about 85% of the prices shown on this site...

http://dendritics.com/metal-calc/

So for example if the dendritics site says my 10k ring is worth $100 I have been getting about $85 for it...

Now, ARA says it pays 98% for the melt for the gold content..

10K is about 41% so, ARA pays 98% of the 42% contained in said ring...

(would that work out to 98% of $42 from ARA?)

I think, I could be wrong, but my local place seems to be a far better option IMO....

I suck at math... Just wondering which is better???

I have only used ARA once last season and compared to Dendritics site I felt they were a bit under what I anticipated...

<*)))>{

You are changing 42% into $42.

42% of $100 is $42...

So ARA pays 98% of the dendritics price? It didn't seem like it but also I didn't have a test kit at the time I sent it in last season...

I took a bunch of stuff to the local place for an estimate... They found four pieces that I thought were 10K and they turned out to be 14K... They use a laser to test for karat, then he weighed all the like karats together with the stones in the rings.. Then added a $100 premium for the stones... The offer actually came to $1,338.. The dendricts site, weighed with the stones, was only $1 more than the local place at $1,339....

I have moved a lot of rings as jewelry to friends for melt and over as well...

I was just PMed by someone about ARA and thought I would post because I'm not an expert myself...

<*)))>{

Most of those places are actually going to send what they buy off of you to refineries like ARA. ARA actually melts the gold or other metal down for the true weight. If you think about it, the copper and other metals its mixed with is free money for the refinery. Just like a lead refinery can separate the antimony. It's worth more than the lead:lol:

42% of $100 is $42...

So ARA pays 98% of the dendritics price? It didn't seem like it but also I didn't have a test kit at the time I sent it in last season...

I took a bunch of stuff to the local place for an estimate... They found four pieces that I thought were 10K and they turned out to be 14K... They use a laser to test for karat, then he weighed all the like karats together with the stones in the rings.. Then added a $100 premium for the stones... The offer actually came to $1,338.. The dendricts site, weighed with the stones, was only $1 more than the local place at $1,339....

I have moved a lot of rings as jewelry to friends for melt and over as well...

I was just PMed by someone about ARA and thought I would post because I'm not an expert myself...

<*)))>{

Ice - I think you are looking at this wrong. Let's say you have a 6.1G 10KW ring. According to dentricts, the melt value for the ring would be $100.

If you sent that same ring to ARA, they would give you 98% of melt value or $98.

If melt value is $100 for the ring..... thats what you need to detemine then ARAwill pay 98 percent. Let me add..... you need a scale and acid also to keep everyone honest.

Dew

I like local if I was getting 85%... no hassle, no worries.. I thought ARA was 95%? Could be wrong...

I'd save it up and end it to ara with fedex or someone you could insure the heck out of it personally. As far as cost, if you're sending one ring, yes that would not be worth it, but if you're sending your years worth it would be a minor expense...

I like local if I was getting 85%... no hassle, no worries.. I thought ARA was 95%? Could be wrong...

I sell local and get 85%... like you say no hassle, no shipping, no insurance and money in my pocket that day... I don't care about losing a few percentage points because its found money :yes:

i had a bad experiance with ara about a year ago i sent them 1180 grams of sterling silverware all but two pieces were marked sterling they sent me a check for $150 should have been close to $800 at the price silver was then when i called and talked to the owner of ara he told me it was all plated and not sterling so i feel i really got burned but i had no proof and the funny thing was the last few time i sold them some gold rings they tested what i sent and called me to let me know what they would pay before they melted it down and the last time they did not i would recomend if you sell to them take pictures and document everthing you send in gl hh

i had a bad experiance with ara about a year ago i sent them 1180 grams of sterling silverware all but two pieces were marked sterling they sent me a check for $150 should have been close to $800 at the price silver was then when i called and talked to the owner of ara he told me it was all plated and not sterling so i feel i really got burned but i had no proof and the funny thing was the last few time i sold them some gold rings they tested what i sent and called me to let me know what they would pay before they melted it down and the last time they did not i would recomend if you sell to them take pictures and document everthing you send in gl hh

STRANGE. They send EVERYTHING back they don't want. I don't understand why they would have kept it.

Oldbeachnut, Midwest pays 95, ARA pays 98.

That 42% your talking about is now pure (24 k) after melting and impurities removed. So for example your 6.1 gram 10k ring is worth $100.00 as is. ARA melts it down and extracts the 42% gold which is now pure gold. Your 6.1 grams is reduced to now 2.5 grams of pure gold. Use spot price for pure gold and it will still come out to $100. Confuse you more?

I have never had any issues with ARA, first time I sent a bit in they did all of the rings with out stones and sent me a check...then about a week later they sent me another check for the rings that they removed the stones from and a offer for the stones and the place that made the offer. And they returned the stones and what ever that did not pass as gold.

Ive dealt with ARA several years now .... even gotten calls on weight errors "I" made. No ones perfect mistakes happen... they just do. Does it make us happy NO so sure take precautions.... dont get pirated. :laughing:

Dew

I sell local and get 85%... like you say no hassle, no shipping, no insurance and money in my pocket that day... I don't care about losing a few percentage points because its found money :yes:

That is about how I feel too... My place weighs them with the stones, then adds $100 on top of the 85% for the stones also...

When I did ship my one package I sent it fed x, got insurance and a required signature.. I think it was well over $20 to do that...

<*)))>{

I would give you current melt for some of the smaller pieces! I'm closer than Texas.

I'm sure I could work something out with you Rob... What is it that your looking for exactly, small items for machine testing purposes, or?

<*)))>{

Back
Top Bottom