building location confusion with topos

knightwillo-b

Forum Supporter
How do you all deal with the differences in the topo maps from way back to when more recent and the differences in the location of older buildings that might not show up late... IE I have been looking at topos from 1899.. see a building on the map... but its gone by say 1920.. the "scale" I guess you can say stays the same from the 1899 map to the 1920 map but when you get to the 40s time frame, the maps are closer in scale to the rest of the maps from 1940 ish to present day.. what are your techniques in locating these places

Just go detect where you think it should be. There will most likely be a large concentration of nails and other trash in the footprint of the building.

reference any contour or streams shown...

for instance...

right or left side of creek, 3 forks from road
around the corner of second ridge
some old roads are now field property lines you can see on google earth

I print sections of the old maps up on clear sheets that are made for use on overhead projectors. Once you have the map printed bring up a current aerial picture on Google Maps and then put the overhead sheet on the screen of your computer. You can then use matching crossroads and zoom in and out on the screen to match the old map to the new aerials.

It's a bit old school, but I prefer doing it this way as opposed to downloading them and overlaying them together.

Just one word of advice, I've found that the black squares on the old plot maps can really be hit and miss. Sometimes they are right one, bit other times they are not even on the right lot.

I print sections of the old maps up on clear sheets that are made for use on overhead projectors. Once you have the map printed bring up a current aerial picture on Google Maps and then put the overhead sheet on the screen of your computer. You can then use matching crossroads and zoom in and out on the screen to match the old map to the new aerials.

It's a bit old school, but I prefer doing it this way as opposed to downloading them and overlaying them together.

Just one word of advice, I've found that the black squares on the old plot maps can really be hit and miss. Sometimes they are right one, bit other times they are not even on the right lot.

I've been using the dissolve feature on historicaerials. That's where I've been discovering the differences.. I'll take some of the maps, print screen them and show you what I'm talking about

Back
Top Bottom