joined the century club- my first 100 year old coin!

MTtrashdigger

Elite Member
Second day out with the EQ800. - Went to a different trashy old park -more nickels and only 1 wheat penny but this one is a 1917! My oldest coin to date. Still looking for my first buffalo nickel and IHP. I have to be getting close.

Attachments

• 1917 wheat.jpg
    1917 wheat.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 334
congratz on your first 100 yr. old coin bucket-lister. Before long, you'll have your first barber. Then your first seated. Then your first LC and reale, then your first gold coin. Bucket-lister goals will fly by every 6 months. Before you know it: Any gold coin newer than 1900 will bore you to tears ! :cool:

It's always a great feeling when you get a "first" of a kind or break an old record in this hobby !

Congrats & Good Hunting !

Question about finding nickels: Any time I dig anything under 18 or so on my equinox 800, it's garbage. How do you know when to dig a 12-13 ding? Do you dig everything? Honestly curious. I confidently dig quarters and dimes and zincolns and I've only been out hunting 5 times in my life. I still haven't found a nickel.

Question about finding nickels: Any time I dig anything under 18 or so on my equinox 800, it's garbage. How do you know when to dig a 12-13 ding? Do you dig everything? Honestly curious. I confidently dig quarters and dimes and zincolns and I've only been out hunting 5 times in my life. I still haven't found a nickel.

I am no expert, but first, I appears you need to get out more :p
I only have about 7 field hours on my Equinox but I can honestly say I have dug more nickels in those 7 hours than the last 50 using my old Fisher 1266.
If you haven't already, watch Dirtfishing's video on setting up your Equinox for coin hunting. It was extremely helpful to me for understanding how to make the adjustments.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ur0FfDDKUo

I set it up in Park 1 and I modify the zones so everything --except 13s and 22 and above-- give me low volume, low tones(5). 13s give me a louder, higher tone (17) and 22 and above give me an even higher tone (25). I dig every solid 13 and everything 22 and above. I ignore the rest. I know I am missing all the gold rings ,all the cool relics, skeleton keys and tokens but the parks I am hunting are so trashy, If I want to find coins, I have to be selective or I will be digging garbage all day. As I learn more about the unmasking ability of this machine, I will be able to expand my settings and find more of the cool stuff.
In my soil- modern nickels ring up at 13. Crusty zincolns are a jumpy 20-21. Wheats and copper memorials show 24-27, the only silver I have found, a '54 dime, was a solid 29. Shallow clad rings up at 28-35. I have never found a war nickel, buffalo nickel or IHP so I don't know about those. I will probably have to buy one of each and bury them to find out.
Hope this helps - good luck to you!

A guy I hunt with was having trouble cracking the 1800s. Then one day we were hunting a super old park and he goes WAY in...1863 I think it was,an Indian. There are SO many goals(most not as lofty as Toms) and it gets real interesting real quick! A V nickel this,a Large Cent that,first year Barber,last year Buffalo...
Put yourself in a position to be successful and it will come,if success to you is measured in those kinds of things. If success is measured by the number of clad coins you dig in a day,then there is that too. It’s all treasure hunting,and can be enjoyed on many different levels. Just never SETTLE. Know your quarry,know your machine. Never give up,never surrender!

Records are made to be broken so prepare yourself as you are on the brink of breaking a lot of them. Congrats on the 100 year plus old coin. Trapper

Back
Top Bottom