Garret Carrot Tip Repair

This thread got me thinking about ABS plastic welding with acetone. I did not know if the Garrett Carrots were made with ABS plastic, so I asked. I just got the email back from Garrett; confirming they are made with ABS plastic. Sure, we wish it was tougher stuff, but it is what it is. ABS plastic can be melted and manipulated with acetone. Can't say I recommend it; especially with the great customer service option, but for some circumstances, it may be a great repair option. Then put a tip protector on it!

How to weld ABS plastic? Google it. That's what I did.

You can do it easier by friction welding it. Take any ABS 3D printer filament and cut a piece, attach it to a rotary tool, and use that to close the gaps. You can find cheap sample packs online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ones that I have done using the chair tips I cut the channel for the rib with hand pruners (blade and anvil type not by pass), like we use for small branches. I only cut the small channel 3/8th inches long and that worked just fine. Hair drier was my heat source for installation.
In my case I just carefully filed about 3/4” or less of the rib off the end so it’s flush, the rubber tip then slides on fully without any cutting.

Back
Top Bottom