Think I happened upon a good CW site??

Jsparks

I found these all within a 30'X30' area. Please let me know what you may know about bullet buckle and rivet. Bullet is .54 by .72 weighs 27.5 grams. I've no clue if they're from CW era or not.
Thank you and HH to all.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 550
Excellent finds. Id say you got yourself a good CW site to say the least. The button is especially rare. There is some confusion about the ACC buttons being Alabama Cadet Corps or Albany (NY) City Corps. They were made with the same device and hard to tell the difference. Like DSM said, the back mark can tell the story. But juding by your location, I would bet that you've got a nice Confederate button. My buddy found one here in VA last year and recently sold it for $600. I'm not one to put monetary value on relics, but thought you might like to know what you've got. I agree with the bullet being a Sharps carbine. Not sure on the other brass. Great finds.

Well if it's this Backmark..

"Scovill Mg. Co. Superfine " it corresponds with Alberts and this ..

"Dear Mr. XXXX,

Thank you for your email of January 29 that has been forwarded to me for a response.

We often receive inquiries like yours requesting that we identify a button. More often than not we are unable to because although we have representative samples of many of the metal sew-on buttons made in the past by Scovill there is no catalogue of reference.

In your case, however, I can identify the button to be one made for the Alabama Corps of Cadets (University of Alabama) that were manufactured by Scovill in Waterbury, CT during the 1850's.

I hope that information helps you.

Regards,
Frank A. Wright
Vice President, Marketing
Scovill Fasteners, Inc."

I saw that bit about the ACC confusion. This is my 3rd ACC button all dug in Tuscaloosa so no doubt about it for me. There's a good chance they spent time here as its all but on campus. So I'll frequent this place for awhile for sure.
I didn't think they're worth much though. I'd trade all three for an xp deus in a second. Thanks for info y'all HH

But you still need to give an exact reading on the backmark. According to Albert's book, they also made that button in 1886. The backmark for the later one is slightly different from the pre civil war era one.

Now to Tice's book. He states as follows: "Collectors should take care in properly identifying this as a true pre-1865 Alabama uniform button. The face is identical to that of NY244, and most examined backmarks seem late. For example, the backmark of D. M. Scott & Co. of Tuscaloosa were not used until 1876. Buttons excavated from Alabama Civil War sites consistently bear the backmarks listed below. Scovill produced the buttons during the 1850s." The reference to the backmarks listed below are: SCOVILL MG. CO/SUPERFINE and SCOVILL MF'G CO

Excellent finds. It looks like you've found a good site. Work it low and slow.

Have you ID'd the rectangular object in the upper left?

Excellent finds. It looks like you've found a good site. Work it low and slow.

Have you ID'd the rectangular object in the upper left?

There's no marks that I can see with my phones magnification. It was silver covered at some point. No clue at all

so.....whats the backmark?

My other two are the Scoville but this one needs to be cleaned before I can make it out. Please let me know if anyone knows how or if I should attempt this please? I've damaged a few items and I will not take chance on this one.
The shank is still on but it does have a small dent in back. I'll post a pic when I get home this eve of back. TY & HH

Because that button can be fairly pricey I would suggest you do nothing more than plain water and a very soft brush, like an old tooth brush. And I wouldn't do anything more than what was necessary to read the backmark.

Back
Top Bottom