Dirtchurch - This old hound can still hunt...

Captain Silver

Elite Member
I wanted to get out for a morning water hunt but low tide came early today, the Captain was out late the night before and so the ship sailed without me:lol: Anyhow, for the last month or so I've been collecting extra stuff from here and there to eventually use...and decided to break some of it out and go play in the dirt instead A clean first generation Explorer XS obtained sight unseen for a good price...open the box to find the touchpad control panel had already been replaced, a $75 part...a good deal just became a sweet deal! Thanks Steve! After putting a battery pack in the detector, erasing all the settings, inputting my setup...next I replaced the Neveready battery outta the funny orange colored Garrett right from the rip 'cause they're the same junk the black Garretts came with:laughing: and then I went to Dirt Lizard's favorite nail infested spot to see how well it all worked...and of course it worked:yes: Close to 3 hours and I did extremely well on the clad without trying...$8.65 worth just cleaning a small section to get to what was underneath it all...mixed with scrap, 60's junker ring, a couple arcade tokens...6 wheats and 3 silvers #127, #128 and #129... first time out with the Ex XS was as I expected it would be, the wheats and dimes were obvious good targets that were all 7-9" down in the very dry ground, and the sound when the coil goes over silver...to me it's slightly more distinctive than on the Ex II...my settings on both detectors are exactly the same and the 'ghosts from the Ex II were used. The orange Garrett...it took a bit of getting used to having to hold the button momentarily to shut it off, but it works fine and is still loud as heck even with the speaker slots taped off. Probably won't lose it with it being all orange...but I bet I still kill it well before the 2 year warranty is up:laughing: So there you have it, a almost 18 year old machine gets a breath of new life and a chance to have many more silvers put on it. Am I crazy for buying such a beast? yup, crazy like a fox:D Thanks for the looks, Happy Hunting to all and see you after the next!

Holy digging man! That's a lot of targets!:lol: Great buy and nice insurance you won't be without an Explorer of some kind. They've been very good for you so far Bruce!

Nice hunt and story.

I like my XS explorer, the way it sounds on the higher conductors.
My shaft where it fits up top a little wobbly.
But I don't have an arm and a leg in it either.

Thanks for sharing.
My unit does have the little stand, and it converts the small plug so a standard headphone jack will work.

Wobbly usually means cracks at the upper camlock pin, common on early XS's...easily fixed by driving out the pin, removing the camlock and using a small hose clamp instead. It'll be solid, tighter than stock ever was...never work loose or wobble during a hunt, and coil/shaft swaps only take a turn of a screwdriver. Some of you might have noticed the lower rod is upside down...this way puts less stress on the coil cable because it now enters the shaft on the other side, leaving a nice loop and not pinching/stressing the cable, which was the death of many original coils. I need to wrap the battery housing and handgrip on this one to protect it from getting dirty, discolored and scuffed, and I kinda like not having a rear stand hanging up the headphone cable:lol:

I own both an XS and a II .I think they are pretty close in performance. They have gotten me around !400 silver coins before I went to CTX because there are better balanced to swing.My buddy still uses my II when he comes to town and still scores the silver with when we hunt.

wow

Captain, you sure know how to find good treasure. I've heard nothing but good stuff about the Explorer XS. And that Carrot, well I had one, after about a year I wore the tip off, and covered the hole with 8X glue from Lowe's and used for another 6 months, until it quit on me. By now it was over a year and a half old. I mailed it to Garrett, and they sent me a brand new one, and I was happy. I love my Garrett Carrot. Congrates on the silver, and wheaties, and the nice clad haul.
HH everyone

Back
Top Bottom