US indian service button

Mountain Mike

Elite Member
Ok so we had a break in the weather. I had a spot in mind for a couple years that I wanted to check out. So I drove 45 minutes and hiked 1 1/2 miles. I swung the detector for hours at some old home sites that were on a map from the 30s. Its the oldest map I could find for that area so I have no idea when they were built. This button was the only good find for the day.
The only word I can make out on the back is "quality". Can anyone tell me anything about this button. Also does anyone have an idea of age? I saw a couple of these buttons online but they all said superior on the back.
BTW I have found many arrowheads and spear points within 50 ft of the button find.

Attachments

• button.jpg
    button.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 664
I'd go post 1900-1954

Are you hunting an old reservation ?

"These were the buttons worn by the uniformed services of Indian Reservations such as Agents, Medical personnel, and Police"

Very cool find! I don’t really know anything about them personally, but I did a Google search and found a couple that were up for auction. The picture only displayed the front, but the description claimed that the back read “superior quality”. Is it possible yours had “superior” on there too, but got worn away? Congrats again on an impressive, unique find!

I'd go post 1900-1954

Are you hunting an old reservation ?

I am near the Cherokee reservation. My business is actually on the reservation. The site is near what was a large river. it has been lake bottom for 50 years since they built the dam. They drop the lake in the winter 80 ft.

Very cool find! I don’t really know anything about them personally, but I did a Google search and found a couple that were up for auction. The picture only displayed the front, but the description claimed that the back read “superior quality”. Is it possible yours had “superior” on there too, but got worn away? Congrats again on an impressive, unique find!

It does have other writing that I cant make out. Maybe it is superior quality. I'm hoping that will help date it. I know some civil war buttons were made by superior quality.

It does have other writing that I cant make out. Maybe it is superior quality. I'm hoping that will help date it. I know some civil war buttons were made by superior quality.

Superior quality isnt a brand or maker. It is just a generic stamp saying the quality is superior. Usually they refer to the quality of the gold gilt.

Back
Top Bottom