Understanding how to generate tones

achaiosy

Hi I am trying to make a Metal Detecting Game, and I am trying to generate tones in game that mimic real tones. I have done a lot of research about the electrical signals generated for ferrous vs non-ferrous metals but Its not clear to me how those get converted into tones.

All of my attempts seem to create a much more "pure" tone like from an 80s video game vs the more robust tones I hear from a real detector. Can anyone give me any tips about generating a real tone, or why my tone my sounds too pure. Really looking for any guidance.

Thanks!

Welcome from Dodge City.

Tone wise the frequency your program will need to generate for iron and low conductors is going to be tough. A very low grunt for iron but you'll need that grunt to vary based on the mass of the iron. For example, a small shoe tac/nail will produce a lower grunt than say a spike with a good sized head. Both will need to be grunts, to indicate iron, but at different frequencies to help determine mass/size.

You'll need to pick a break point where ferrous and conductive metals change from grunts to tones. Like Iron Audio on the Garrett AT Pro. An adjustable break point would be a nice option.

Hi I am trying to make a Metal Detecting Game, and I am trying to generate tones in game that mimic real tones. I have done a lot of research about the electrical signals generated for ferrous vs non-ferrous metals but Its not clear to me how those get converted into tones.

All of my attempts seem to create a much more "pure" tone like from an 80s video game vs the more robust tones I hear from a real detector. Can anyone give me any tips about generating a real tone, or why my tone my sounds too pure. Really looking for any guidance.

Thanks!

Instead of generating the tones, why not record your detector over known targets? Go to youtube, find videos of various detectors/hunts, extract the detector audio?

You could then call specific audio files based on the parameters you define.....

Well the recording gives a specific rate over the target, so if the player moves faster or hold the detector over the target then I cant handle that. I started by taking a sample and trying to pitch shift it based on where the target was compared to the detector but it was not right. Curious if any one knows the math behind how the tones are generated.

Well the recording gives a specific rate over the target, so if the player moves faster or hold the detector over the target then I cant handle that. I started by taking a sample and trying to pitch shift it based on where the target was compared to the detector but it was not right. Curious if any one knows the math behind how the tones are generated.

What language are you programming?

The best thing you can do for starters is read some articles on the digital synthesis of music. Tones are made up of octaves and overtones generated from the primary frequency. Also the speed which a tone frequency volume rises and decays away makes a difference. It’s a fairly deep subject, digitizing recordings may be your best bet.

Did you figure out what you want to do?

Back
Top Bottom