Farm Houses

DoctorTecter

Elite Member
Was driving with Tony today out in the country. Massive hayfields that you know had troop taffic from the War of 1812 I researched these farms and the home are 1810 and earliee. Question is when going up to a farm house that out away from anything whats the best approach. Guys my jaw hit the floor when I saw a cobble stone house. Just amazing the History

I say the EXACT same thing I do when I knock on doors in town:

Hello, my name is Terry and my buddy and I have a hobby of metal detecting. We enjoy looking around older homes like yours for old coins, tokens, buttons, relics and just about anything old and interesting. Would you mind if we detected your yard?
That is it! I keep it short and simple, and say the EXACT thing everytime.

I plan on doing some door-to-door tomorrow. Gonna go based off Goes4ever's technique. Wish me good luck! Thanks G4E!

Hunted 2 parks, not much luck there. Did run into forum member Ill Digger though accidently. Never met him before, good guy.

Besides that I tried knocking on 2 doors. Shot down at one and a yes at the other. The first one was an immediate no, lol. But the second one the guy was really nice. I found one of his property markers for him. Only keeper was a wheatie though. Oh well, better luck next time.

how do you handle it if they ask you about the finds? let them see them or offer some to them or just pass?

"What finds? You mean a $2 mercury dime." Keep it realistic. You are not finding gold or silver coins every hunt.

You are a hobbyist fulfilling a sick urge to look for something that is generally not worth the effort. See my signature line below!

Really I tell them that I often find wheat pennies, and on a good day I might find a silver dime worth $2. They usually yawn and go inside never to be seen again. Don't offer anything. It is you time and your work. I would spend it somewhere else if they wanted the finds.

Don't make them think that your dream finds are typically everyday finds, they will say no and buy a terrible Bounty Hunter detector.

Sometimes they will tell you in jest "if you find a million dollars, I want half", I humor them and tell them of course! Read Terry's FAQ, the part about returning anything that can be identified as lost by the permission grantor, is good, too!

I just want to say that Terry's techniques have worked for me even on large institutions and businesses. I have never asked in person and received a no.

Thanks Ryan, I've been reading other posts and see what you mean. I looked at goes4ever link and am psyched up now to go knocking on doors. well... maybe friends doors first. LOL

Back
Top Bottom