UPDATED One week in Virginia (Civil War relics, now with video!)

gtoast99

Forum Supporter
Hey all!

I just got back from the "Diggin in Virginia" invitational hunt in in Culpeper, VA. Here's my results from a week of digging at the Battle of Brandy Station. I've got quite a few "personal firsts" in the mix, which was cool. These include my very first 69 minie, ringtail sharps, gardner, eagle button, and belt adjuster. I also got a couple of shell frags which is pretty cool, a fair number of other bullets, and a few odds and ends.

On the first day of the hunt I was hunting in a field where several confederate buttons had been found (including block A and NC). At the very end of the day I recovered my best button of the trip (which I sadly forgot to include in the group shot!) - an Ordnance Officer's coat button. This rather uncommon button was made for the US in the 1830's-40's, but based on the location found, was most likely re-purposed as a Confederate artilleryman's button.

On day three I got a bullet signal, and dug down to find a deep three-ring minie, partially black with charcoal. Down in the hole I could see more charcoal, and thought I might be getting into a fire pit or hut site. I started digging out some more, and sure enough I saw another three ringer roll out of the dirt pile! The total for the pit was eight three ringers (I got 5, my friend who helped me got 3), some broken glass, and my FIRST complete Civil War bottle. It's a small medicine bottle, nothing fancy, but I'm THRILLED to have found it. I still need to clean that one up.

And of course you can see the centerpiece - my first sabre belt plate, found in a large cavalry camp on the property. This is my third plate, and while it's not my best one, it is in the best condition. I'm super happy with this find!!

Thanks to God for allowing me to stumble across these historic finds. And thanks to you for reading, and in advance for any comments you might have. You can read more about each day at DIV and see some more pictures over at my blog. I took some videos, but I'll have to edit them, and upload them in the next few days.

Attachments

• div finds.JPG
    div finds.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 5,105
  • ord button.JPG
    ord button.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 2,556
  • chillin in the hole.JPG
    chillin in the hole.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 6,591
  • buckle.jpg
    buckle.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 2,703
Great week of digging! I'm jealous that I wasn't there. I had to live vicariously through your daily blog as you reported each days finds. I bet you're beat after 7 straight days of detecting.

Biggest plug EVER :laughing:
Awesome hunt!

Hahahahah yea! Someone else commented that all you can see for a digging tool in the pic is a lesche. The farmer was well aware we'd be digging some firepits and winter huts, so long as we filled in the pit when we finished. Here's a pic of my buddy Josh detecting the dirt pile.

Great week of digging! I'm jealous that I wasn't there. I had to live vicariously through your daily blog as you reported each days finds. I bet you're beat after 7 straight days of detecting.

I wish you'd come too, it was a blast! I'm glad you enjoyed the blog posts. Yep, I'm super sore lol. See you on Tuesday.

Attachments

• dirt pile.JPG
    dirt pile.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 3,444
I think you need a pinpointer ! :lol:
Congrats to your amazing finds .I like the buckle!

hahahahaha!!

If they make a pinpointer for glass, I'd be all over that!!! The bottle was on the very edge of the hole, amongst the rocks right as the ash layer was running out (the bullets were nearly dead center).

wow, that's some serious digging and it must been a heck of a workout, but well worth the rewards. congrats!

tried to call you at the meeting, hate it that we didn't get to actually meet. maybe this fall....

getting ready to order me a TDI, the wife is taking the DFX. she loves her F4 around the house, but it stunk out there.

congrads on the finds, we had to leave after 2 days, ended up with 5 bullets, (my first ringtail sharps), an old pocket knife, cavalry tether, 2 buttons, one steel small buckle, and a boot heel plate. wish we could have stayed for the second half. but we'll be there for the whole week this fall!!!! :D

Thats quite a plug you cut there,bet it was hard to lift back into place!!!!lol,congrats on a awesome hunt,those are some prized treasures in the pics!!!

:wow: Dude! I am so jealous of you! :yes: Man did you have a great hunt as well as a sweet time! :yes: Question, how does one get invited to the event?

Verry Happy for you my friend :woot:

Find's

i know who to look up when i need a hole dug, for a built in pool:laughing:,nice find's,can you tell us what the writing is on the belt buckle.or a close up shot,Earl

Awesome finds!!! Im getting extremely jealous of all these CW finds being posted lately!! Ive only found some knapsack rivots lately... I need to get out more!

Thanks for the kind words everyone!! I should have video of digging the bottle and plate tomorrow. :D

tried to call you at the meeting, hate it that we didn't get to actually meet. maybe this fall....

getting ready to order me a TDI, the wife is taking the DFX. she loves her F4 around the house, but it stunk out there.

congrads on the finds, we had to leave after 2 days, ended up with 5 bullets, (my first ringtail sharps), an old pocket knife, cavalry tether, 2 buttons, one steel small buckle, and a boot heel plate. wish we could have stayed for the second half. but we'll be there for the whole week this fall!!!! :D

Congrats on your finds too! I hope we can meet up in the fall :D

Need an extra hunting buddy? You know, safety in numbers kinda thing? :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Haha, well, sign up for DIV, and I'll see you there!!

:wow: Dude! I am so jealous of you! :yes: Man did you have a great hunt as well as a sweet time! :yes: Question, how does one get invited to the event?

Do a google search for "Diggin in Virginia". It's run on another forum, so as a courtesy to the friendly, I won't link directly. They have directions posted there on how to sign up. Don't worry if you're only an alternate the first go around, people inevitably drop out, so watch for list as it moves up. They haven't started fall sign ups yet though.

i know who to look up when i need a hole dug, for a built in pool:laughing:,nice find's,can you tell us what the writing is on the belt buckle.or a close up shot,Earl

E Pluribus Unum
:)

Back
Top Bottom