Question on coin "values"

CELLARMAN 74

Hey folks. Question for all the coin hoarders: I am going to be buying some common circulated coins from a family member. Indian heads, Buffalo nickels, Mercs, GWs, some walking libertys, etc. The silver coins I have figured out, but what is the going "I like you and don't want to give you a bad deal" buy price for the Indians and Buffaloes? I was thinking a dollar each for the Indians and 50 cents each for the nickels. Is that about right? Thanks in advance for the input!

I can buy average circulated IHPs from my local coin shop for about .75 and Buffs with readable dates for about the same.....

Yep... A good price for them to sell it to you, in a "bulk" fashion, I would think is $0.50-$0.75. A dollar is too much. You can buy lots of 50 on eBay for circulated Indian Heads for $44-$45. If you're doing cull pennies, it's even cheaper.

Remember that if they're selling at $44 for 50, they're actually only bringing home (into the pocket), $38.06 after eBay and Paypal fees. and shipping will cost $2.66, leaving just $35.40 made on each $44 role. That means that on ebay, a lot of 50 is selling for $0.71 a coin.

Basically, you're paying MORE for the coins at $0.75 than what you could make selling them in bulk on ebay.

Personally, I'd offer $0.50 and if they take it, you're happy, and they're happy. If they balk, you could offer up to $0.75, but unless they were really great examples of the coins, you're probably already over-paying at that price. At $1? Too high.

Skippy

On Buffalo nickels, I remember going thru a roll of nickels my dad got from the bank in '63 or '64. About half were Buffalo. Ones from teens to mid-20s were no date, late '20s partial date, and '30s generally full date to Fine. Whether or not the date is readable will affect values. So if you pay 50 cents each for dateless you are cheating yourself, unless you just want to do it to help the person. Best wishes, George (MN)

Back
Top Bottom