Nox Tones

AlpoRanch

Hi Guys. I'm contemplating buying a Nox 800 but I have a question. With my CTX if I have multiple targets in one spot, IE a dime and a quarter, etc and with the way I have my tone bins set up, I'll get two different tones. This helps a lot water hunting. Will the Nox give me two different tones like I get on my CTX? Part of the reason I'm asking is I broke my 11" coil on a trip to NH and am either going to buy a used package deal CTX on Ebay and then sell off the extras of the one I have now and basically end up with a warrantied machine for the price of a new 11" coil or I'm going to get a Nox and just unload the CTX.

My 800 is for sale after 8 months of trying to like it. I’d be interested in trading for your CTX and broken coil. I am in south OC, CA. I like my CTX best and would like a backup. I have fixed two coils like yours so far.
To answer your question, the EQ tone definition suffers compared to the CTX. It is faster but you have to recognize the target over trash and noise. The ctx has much better ID capabilities but both have the same depth and detection.

I have used the CTX for years now and I purchased a Nox 800 a few months ago. I like the Nox but if I was going to give up a machine and only keep one, the CTX would win every time for me. I just like it and I know it's capabilities. I have no intentions of selling the Nox, bit IMO the CTX wins hands down. But that's just my 1 and a half cents worth.

I liked my CTX better but it is gone because of its weight.
I am pretty sure the NOX hits everything my ctx could but I jived better with the ctx.

Honestly........ the CTX is runs a lot better in the water. Advantage might be that the Nox gets open gold earrings and MAYBE some smaller pieces of gold. But its chatty on our hard pan..... you can reduce the sensitivity to quiet it, but then its already working at a reduced power. At that point... i think a lot of things become equal. I tend to dig a bit more small high conductors ... foil, can slaw, rivits, ect.

To answer your question...... yes you can set 5 bins with of course one being iron.... leaving you 4 to play with. I personally have my dimes and quarters in one bin. Heres how i have mine.... -9 to -1, 0 to 13 (nickel), 14 to 17, 18 to 21, 22 up. IMO..... im not looking for coins so it just doesnt matter.. i could put um all in one bin along with silver...... id still dig um. I will pass a shallow penny......21. The Nox doesnt have nearly the target tone adjustment either the CTX has. You get a lot of bleed off of minerals in the first or second bin when falsing which can make it hard to determine small non-conductors out there deep. Noise cancel..... well thats another think i just dont care for.... seems to be all over the place.

Its a better machine out of the water than the CTX thou for beach hunting..... well once you learn the bottle caps and if you want to find small gold at the expense of digging a LOT.... LOT of foil. Better id say in the wet sand too. Meet me one day on the beach...... ill let ya hear it run in the water. Its not for everyone thats for sure.

Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it. Dew, I'll hit you up sometime. Little buyer beware, I bought a 14x9 coiltek off Ebay a few months ago and brought it to the beach. Little did I know there was a stress crack in the case where the cable nut goes into the coil. That's two coils down.

Two year warranty on Coiltek - might still be covered?
If OOW try baking the water out, apply very thin CA glue (from radio control hobby shop) and then spray with truck bed coating. When it worked was it worth having?

Sorry for your loss.....but not sure it was the better coil. Hate getting ripped off. Just give me a shout

Back
Top Bottom