Minelab CTX3030 or Minelab Equinox 800

ironman05

Hey guys just need some advice on buying either the CTX 3030 or Equinox 800. I mostly do beach hunts, older parks for finding silver coins. Can anyone stir me in the right direction. Any information is appreciated. Thanks and happy holidays.

CTX 3030 is a proven performer on everything you listed. Equinox sounds very promising but as you know it hasn't been released yet so we're all waiting to see how it compares. I guess it comes down to whether you want to jump in now with a CTX or wait to see how the Equinox does.

If it were me and I could only get one, I'd probably wait a little longer to see some real world reviews of the Equinox.

Even without seeing or using the nox,it’s not in the same league as a 3030,not even a Etrac ..I know people may think differently,and how can I know without even using a nox? Common sense man,just common sense

Its too early to give you a solid answer. As rattlehead said, the CTX is a known performer. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one if mine died. Until I get my hands on an 800 and get a lot of detecting hours on it, any comparisons are just guesses. The specs for the Equinox sound really, really, promising which is why I have one on order.

CTX does perform but has weaknesses.

Could Equinox capitalize on some of these weaknesses?

Like better separation in iron and nails.

Better depth in higher mineralized ground-- to just determine a find is nonferrous.

Smaller gold, Equinox likely better performer, although op here didn't list as his mission.

So where a person lives and or where they hunt.
Equinox could be better than CTX.

And vice versa.

What I am saying here is speculation(not the CTX weaknesses though) but could be true.

Final answer - we are all just going to have to wait and see about the nox. Meanwhile the CTX is a great detector. It's all up to you at this point.

Even without seeing or using the nox,it’s not in the same league as a 3030,not even a Etrac ..I know people may think differently,and how can I know without even using a nox? Common sense man,just common sense

Bingo.

Pretty sure Minelab didn't wipe out two of their best selling high end detectors by making something better and selling it for a fraction of the cost. I do think it will be a huge success, but being a former longtime Minelab guy a super fast recovering Minelab doesn't compute well in my brain as it seems to have kept the same type of sounds and not the sharp tones of something like a Deus. That said who cares, and here's some more common sense.. it's way more about the site!

I have read a lot of people commenting on how ML would never cut the sales of the flagship machines by introducing a better machine for far less, but that makes perfect business sense (if we want to assume it to be true)

Made up numbers below for easy math.....

If they sell 1000 CTXs a month at $2000 each, they bring in 2 million dollars. this detector is out of reach of most detectorists, but most CAN afford the mid-price machine. So all those new customers mean they can sell 10,000 EQs a month at $700 each means they make 7 million dollars. Even if sales of all flagship machines ended, Minelab is still 5 million richer. Since they would still be selling some CTXs, it would be 5 - 6 million in increased sales. Far from "cutting their own throats" as some claim this new priced detector would be.

Now, my figures are generalizations, but these basis is sound and is taught in business management courses. For every dollar you lower the price you get XXX more customers, even though you are making less profit per item. You find the price point on the bell curve that maximizes both customers and profit.

Right now no such thing as a lightweight bbs, fbs, or fbs2 detector.
And few other waterproof units period.

Lightweight plus waterproof -one detector.

Older folks, especially the older retired traveling the coastline areas may find Equinox very appealing.

Even younger folks, teen agers.

Could be a great jack of all trades detector.

Freshwater beaches/swimming holes -Equinox 800 using single freq of 20 or 40khz should hopefully up the odds of finding real small gold jewelry even chains.

And the more folks wearing Minelab hats the better,,at least for Minelab.

Could be a contagious detector of sorts.
If that even makes sense.

If you hate corona caps the etrac and CTX can dependable descrim them out with its combo of FE/CO readings, the equinox won't have that ability. But as Jason has said the equinox is not out yet for anyone here to give you a comparison.

time will tell, If it can it will make me happy, But I have my doubts without the fe/co abilites. So many have claimed they can with other machines too only to be proven bs. Them buggers can be pesky:grin:

There’s a reason the CTX is 3 or 4 times more expensive. In my opinion, minelab is trying to make something in the same ballpark/dollar amountas the ATPro to compete with that.

As stated, the CTX3030 is a proven performer. I have ran one for a couple years and am still tweaking a lot of settings and getting better performance from it.
After owning several Minelab models I am confident that the Equinox will be a good solid performer also but you are just not going to get the amount of options that you get on the CTX3030.
I also agree that I believe the Equinox is meant to steal some of the market from the AT Max. I am sure more than a few AT Max ordered were cancelled in favor of getting on the list for the Equinox.

Hello,'
I agree with everything said but I think choppadude hit it on the money. the nox is intended for a certain market and not replace the CTX. I have pre-ordered the 800 for mainly a back up unit for my CTX. To replace the CTX it had better get up and cook breakfast. I have owned 5 "high end" detectors and nothing so far has met the CTX.
HH!

Will our savior Nox change laws of physics , will the new King Nox have a way too change conductive numbers?? Will the Nox process gold from a nickel or worse and more likely a pull tab it would sell for more then predicted price. Common sense.Let's hope it will not change to a OX :lol: will Susy marry Heathcliff? on Days of Detecting.

Will the Nox breath new hope on Oak Island.

TOTAL pr mess?

Last edited:
You already have a Explorer...might as well wait on the new Minelab, see first if it's any good...regardless of performance, gently used EQ's will be up for sale a week after release at discounted prices:yes:

There’s a reason the CTX is 3 or 4 times more expensive. In my opinion, minelab is trying to make something in the same ballpark/dollar amountas the ATPro to compete with that.

I own the ATPRO....to be honest nothing very special about it. Likely will sell it.

Ironman...whatever it is you want it’s going to have to be pretty special to eclipse what you already have. I can only recommend the CTX as I went from the EX2 to the CTX as well. Did I sell the Explorer? Not on your life.

Back
Top Bottom