Help with dating spoons

Bubba66

Not sure if these are lead or pewter found about 7” deep Any help with finding out how old would be appreciated

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 2,515
If they're single, and you're single, and you like what you see, I don't see any problem with dating them, they're certainly old enough..

<°)))>{

They definitely have some age. Wherever you found them, I would be swinging like crazy in the same area...

#4 looks like the oldest to me, from my limited previous spoon research. The ridge up the back of the bowl indicates it could be maybe 1700 hundreds colonial. The one lead /pewter spoon I found was soft enough to bend and a light gray color. Hard to tell but I'm guessing yours are copper. What did they ring as? That will tell you. Very cool collection! Hit that place hard!

#4 looks like the oldest to me, from my limited previous spoon research. The ridge up the back of the bowl indicates it could be maybe 1700 hundreds colonial. The one lead /pewter spoon I found was soft enough to bend and a light gray color. Hard to tell but I'm guessing yours are copper. What did they ring as? That will tell you. Very cool collection! Hit that place hard!

They were ringing up in the penny range on my White’s treasuremaster.

Agreed, #4 does look the oldest because of the solder marks on the back side of the bowl. My guess is also copper, pewter is light grey in color, sometimes pitted.
When the stem and the bowl were made separately and then soldered together, it is a sign of some of the earliest metal spoons 1500's-1700's.
Spoons started being created from a single piece of metal 1700's.
Bowls tended to be large in proportion with slender stems until the late 1700's.
Heavily decoration with elaborate designs or heavily ornate usual 1800's-1930's.
Silver plated spoons will be dated 1820's and later.
Stainless steel 1940's and later.

Last edited:
Nice collection of spoons, but unless the lighting changed the color somewhat, I lean more toward them being pewter or another metal. A couple weeks ago I found a copper spoon at a 1790 house and the copper color showed, but for the most part it had the bright green patina like the Statue of Liberty. Also, if you saw the episode of Oak Island, when the detectorist (;)) found the bowl of a copper spoon, it also had the green patina. It's not much help aging them but just my 2 cents.

Woohoo, a post about spoons. I dug these today. Most everything I have been finding at this location have been 1880 to 1900.....I think. I don’t know a thing about spoons. These are really light and the size of a large spoon now.
67b4b1a36d3f4d483adbb41e00fcb942.jpg
405296f647d463dcf66dd10bd450071c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woohoo, a post about spoons. I dug these today. Most everything I have been finding at this location have been 1880 to 1900.....I think. I don’t know a thing about spoons. These are really light and the size of a large spoon

"TheKevin", did you ever date the full sized spoon with the fiddle neck that you found? I literally found an identical one today here in Gettysburg. It is copper clad in silver and has no marking other than that distinct "eyebrow" decoration on the handle.

Mike

Funny thing I found one the same shape as the one on the right the other day also , broken though and smaller
I will throw up a picture of it later
I think it may be copper though , not sure

African Silver

Attachments

• 20220622_171749.jpg
    20220622_171749.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 327
  • 20220622_171900.jpg
    20220622_171900.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 331
  • 20220622_171941.jpg
    20220622_171941.jpg