Been a while...

TorqueMaster

Elite Member
Hi all, especially His Royal Highness KT who seems to hold this place together. It's good to see all the cool stuff y'all are still finding. I pop in here once in a while just to read...I'm still managing to search 4 boxes a week though. Still finding a lot! Found my first 1970 a few weeks ago, that was really cool.

Here's pics --one showing all the silver from August and September and the other showing all of October including the 1970, silvers, proofs, commemorative, 1987, foreign, and cool stickered.

Happy Hunting!

Attachments

• augsep2017.jpg
    augsep2017.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 160
  • oct2017.jpg
    oct2017.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 126
His Majesty sends you Royal Congrats for your great finds! There are a number of CRHers in this forum, but for most it is not convenient for them to post every hunt, especially both the good and bad ones! :lol::lol: KT does them all each week so that the first time reader can get a better perspective of what it is to be a CRHer. Sometimes it is an upper week and sometimes a downer, much like MDing.

KT really likes the Walkers and Franklins you recovered....they are much less frequent in circulation than 64s and the 40% Kens.

Great work and keep on CRHing! Obviously 4 boxes a week are paying off nicely for you! :D:D

A big congrats on the cool CRH finds and especially on the Walking Liberties and Franklin Halves. :woot: Keep it up. :D

nice haul.. I haven't went through any lately.. been dealing with some health issues here.. need to do some more searching since I'm off from work at the moment..

Thanks all for your kind words. I still get a jaw drop when I find a walker -- it just seems crazy something that old is still floating around out there. I realize it was probably freshly spent or from a recent bank deposit by someone who didn't know any better, but still...awesome. I think I've accumulated a full roll of them in the past few years -- I think I started hunting in late 2013. Persistence and VOLUME. :)

I have to admit I've gotten lazy in my hunting technique. I do one roll at a time. I used to do a quick edge check of each roll, then check the date/obverse of every coin. Now I do the edge check followed by a fast flip through check of whichever side is up.

The edge check finds 95% of the goodies -- silvers usually pop out, and proofs and 87 and NIFC are often thicker, and/or have really sharp coppery reeding, and anything a different diameter (foreign, quarters, etc) also stands out. I also check grungy grey edges that could be hiding silver. The quick flip through the rest lets me find proofs in not-so-prime condition (mirrory surface,) an occasional silver that edge fooled me, an occasional so-so condition NIFC, or even foreign coins the exact same size as a US half.

The quick flip through them also serves a secondary purpose -- as I flip each one into a pile of coins, the SOUND it makes will aid in finding missed silver (only one has slipped that far past me in the past year) or foreign (none yet but if I'm visually distracted and miss one they are often weird composition that sounds different) and MAGICIAN'S trick halves (about half a dozen so far) which will never be caught visually, but go CLUNK not CLINK when they hit other coins.

I'm typically down to about 30 minutes per box (45-60 when I'm watching TV) which keeps the hobby a maintainable time-suck, lol.

HAPPY Hunting!

Back
Top Bottom