My first Platty - 10% IRID PLAT

GroundSweeper

Forum Supporter
1.9g 10% IRID PLAT with 10 little diamonds (imagine they’re real). My first platinum and first iridium for that matter :lol:

Old tiny ring, the stamping is worn on the inside from wear. Has “initials” to “initials” and a date of ‘39... inscribed in fancy script.

Soccer field sideline. Pretty shallow, maybe and inch deep. Solid 6 in Park 1, 50 tones.

I couldn’t detect where I wanted to today, in fact this field is really low down on my list of places I care to go, but was my only option this afternoon. If this place had any potential for old silver coins I would never have dug this, but I was in desperate for anything good mode. Pulled a zinc cent, some can slaw bits, and one pull tab. After the ring I cut it short and headed home...

Hope to go back to my “silver” bearing spot Wednesday and try the 6” coil. Last time I was there I pulled two wheats only.

Happy hunting.

Attachments

• 9719F13C-3644-493C-8A28-1FFA646633C6.jpg
    9719F13C-3644-493C-8A28-1FFA646633C6.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 816
  • DF4E7C36-ABB5-4E96-8FB1-093F70FF015E.jpg
    DF4E7C36-ABB5-4E96-8FB1-093F70FF015E.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 698
  • 00BB469F-65C7-400A-BA1C-6B491930664C.jpg
    00BB469F-65C7-400A-BA1C-6B491930664C.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 683
Last edited:
Very nice!! I wonder what the IRID is? I never found a platinum ring so I have to ask haha! Congrats on the nice find! Always awesome finding something when or WHERE you least expect it!

Congrats GS!

I'm still looking for my first platinum..

It's my understanding, platinum comes in either 900, or 950, first time I've seen that IRID mark.. Very cool! Obviously making yours 900 Platinum..

<°)))>{

Hey that's pretty cool! Congrats on your first platinum too!

Platinum and iridium belong to the same group of metals (i.e the Platinum group). Osmium, palladium, ruthenium and rhodium are also part of it (so six in total).

Wikipedia tells me these six elements often occur in the same mineral deposits (so it's interesting to see your ring also had iridium in it).

And another bit of info, the other metals commonly found in platinum rings are often those of the platinum group (hence why iridium was in your ring).

Congrats GS!

I'm still looking for my first platinum..

It's my understanding, platinum comes in either 900, or 950, first time I've seen that IRID mark.. Very cool! Obviously making yours 900 Platinum..

<°)))>{

Thanks Ice! Yup 900 PLAT, 100 IRID

Hey that's pretty cool! Congrats on your first platinum too!

Platinum and iridium belong to the same group of metals (i.e the Platinum group). Osmium, palladium, ruthenium and rhodium are also part of it (so six in total).

Wikipedia tells me these six elements often occur in the same mineral deposits (so it's interesting to see your ring also had iridium in it).

And another bit of info, the other metals commonly found in platinum rings are often those of the platinum group (hence why iridium was in your ring).

Cool interesting info SG, thank you. Congrats again on your gold coin! :wow:

Great Find! That ring my be little, but it's worth some big bucks! Big Congrats!

beephead

Thanks Beep! It's the first decent ring I've found this year and w/ the Nox. Thought it was silver at first, then saw a lot of markings, had to get the loupe out to see the PLAT. Was pretty neat seeing the old school scripted initials and dated 1939...

1.9g 10% IRID PLAT with 10 little diamonds (imagine they’re real). My first platinum and first iridium for that matter :lol:

Old tiny ring, the stamping is worn on the inside from wear. Has “initials” to “initials” and a date of ‘39... inscribed in fancy script.

Soccer field sideline. Pretty shallow, maybe and inch deep. Solid 6 in Park 1, 50 tones.

I couldn’t detect where I wanted to today, in fact this field is really low down on my list of places I care to go, but was my only option this afternoon. If this place had any potential for old silver coins I would never have dug this, but I was in desperate for anything good mode. Pulled a zinc cent, some can slaw bits, and one pull tab. After the ring I cut it short and headed home...

Hope to go back to my “silver” bearing spot Wednesday and try the 6” coil. Last time I was there I pulled two wheats only.

Happy hunting.

Big congrats! G.S! I see Iridium used in spark plug electrodes at work.
Someone mentioned you found a gold coin, is this true? Pics?

Congrats on a really nice ring! I've never found any platinum, but those were popular back in the day. My mother (long since passed) and all my aunts had platinum wedding rings.

Back
Top Bottom