Buttons, Casings and Drops (not Civ.)

Mike (CA)

Forum Supporter
Hunted a spot I had been told had had a homestead in the area somewhere, (supposedly). Didn’t find anything on any maps. I had scouted it a bit last year, but didn’t find anything indicating anything at all. Hiked all over for a few days scouting and came across some sign so started hunting. Hunted this spot pretty hard for three days and here is what I brought home with me. I was extremely excited to find the Eagle Buttons. The three NY manufactured buttons were in a straight line with two feet separating each. The Philadelphia (I assume) manufactured button was about fifteen or twenty feet from the others.

They, along with the Levi Strauss & Co button are my first significant button finds. I believe they are general service buttons as the shields have verticals bars/lines on them. The eagles are clasping arrows which I believe signifies war time. All this I have gleaned from hours of YT videos and podcasts. I have not done proper research on them yet. Please do let me know if I am incorrect.
I know nothing of the shells and drops yet.

I assume the rings and other iron bits are horse and wagon related (guides, etc). The flat iron with two holes and a bent end does look like the iron piece that would be at either end of a wagon steering piece (don’t know the name). More research to be done.

After a while I stopped digging the nails, there were just too many and I tried to start to cherry pick as I really wanted to find a coin.

Had a fantastic time and it was my first big hunt at an old spot that someone didn’t take me to. Felt great.

I know these finds probably aren’t amazing to the vets, but this was an amazing spot, hunt and adventure for me! I look forward to many more :)

All the best and TY for looking.

-n00b mike

Cleaned up buttons pics and then the wrap up photo from each of the three days:

20f01155636880b1779200ed497f15d0.jpg

b8a284fe220ae6ab66501564424641ee.jpg

8c2a4f49b4eb18b14b5a448d6387cec8.jpg

21c38a0f3d54c7d1139defe151298367.jpg

fd4d0fd221bca9dda7be9dd88f6a6aee.jpg

Buttons, Shells and Drops

I like the hoof pick made from a horseshoe..

{

Is that what that is? I found three of them. I just thought they were broken/worn shoes. I just went back and looked at my other pics and one looks broken and the other may have been made into a pick, but not as defined as the one in the original post.

Thanks for the feedback/comment!

Here are all three:

d5d4d1195db9212dd87b404d7768727a.jpg

6f1be2a5460c1a61874dc8c3f981ae87.jpg

2a4648f74031ae9492ddc16e523efb3c.jpg

Last edited:
Great finds
Those shoes turned into hoof picks are fun. I found one similar before. Some if the shorter nails could be from horseshoes too. Great pieces of history

Thank you both!

Great finds

Those shoes turned into hoof picks are fun. I found one similar before. Some if the shorter nails could be from horseshoes too. Great pieces of history

Yeah, that’s what I’ve thought as well. The more oval shanked nails are shoe nails I believe. I’m super excited for the hoof picks which I didn’t know they were. Very exciting to find something repurposed into a tool.

Age indicators like those eagle buttons indicate that there could be a nice seated coin lurking there somewhere. Good to hear a CA report !

Awesome finds!! I'd love to have a place like that to hunt. No doubt there is more there.

For sure, I feel suuuuper lucky to have found a spot like this. I’ve been actively searching for and researching trying to find a spot heavily for the last year and a half and I can’t tell you how many leads end in nothing hunt-able. Just keep searching, stay positive, and you shall find. Best of luck!

Age indicators like those eagle buttons indicate that there could be a nice seated coin lurking there somewhere. Good to hear a CA report !

I surely hope so! If I find it I’ll share it :). 20% right? ;)

Thanks guys and all the best in your hunts :)

I'd need a better look at them to be sure, but those shoes don't exactly look like they were made into hoof picks. Normally the nails wouldn't be left in a hoof pick, but they would be in shoes that were lost or deliberately pulled and discarded.

Those look to be well worn Ox shoes. The fuller is too close to the edge of the shoe with the nail holes punched too fine for horse or mule shoes, but would be consistent with shoes made for a creature that has thinner hoof walls like an Ox.

I'd need a better look at them to be sure, but those shoes don't exactly look like they were made into hoof picks. Normally the nails wouldn't be left in a hoof pick, but they would be in shoes that were lost or deliberately pulled and discarded.

Those look to be well worn Ox shoes. The fuller is too close to the edge of the shoe with the nail holes punched too fine for horse or mule shoes, but would be consistent with shoes made for a creature that has thinner hoof walls like an Ox.

Thanks for that great insight Longhair. I appreciate it greatly.

All the best and HH.

Thing is, they're not quite right for Ox shoes either, which is why I said that I'd have to have a better look at 'em. The shape isn't quite what I'm used to seeing for Ox shoes.

The other possibility is that they are Mule shoes that were worn through at the toe. The general shape suggests they would fit a Mule's foot, but the fine punched nail holes in the first two pics (in the post with all three) is more like what we see with Ox shoes rather than Mule shoes.

Looks like a very good site. Eagle buttons would be post civil war. 1877-1948 for the Allen buttons. 1873-1904 on the Wilson button

Back
Top Bottom