Home made coin cleaner

dcturtle

Through my many years of stupid inventions I am going to share with you an easy way to clean clad coins. Below is you standard large dannon yogurt container. I used a drill and 1/4" bit. Add coins and either squirt in dish soap or add electrosol tablet. Put on lower rack. coins come out clean and easier to spend or give to bank.

Attachments

• Finds 053.jpg
    Finds 053.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 2,682
  • Finds 054.jpg
    Finds 054.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 2,318
  • Finds 055.jpg
    Finds 055.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 2,327
Cool idea. How full can you fill it up with coins?

Thanks, bootmud

Generally, I put 50 coins in it. I run pot scrubber. Really does a great job. If I have wheats/indians I only do about 10-15. I do not use on silver, but silver really does not need to be cleaned. Helps with those unreadable coins. 1 problem I get is it does not work well on "crystalized" coins. For those I posted previously my home made copper polish. I would not use this on anything like a VDB though.

Looks like a great idea!

From spending a few years as an appliance repairman, if anyone adds any soap inside the container, just be very careful what you put in. Most soaps other than those specified for dishwashers will cause immense amounts of suds and can make a really big mess for you. I got a service call about once a week to help get excess suds out of a dishwasher because someone used the wrong soap! :D

Looks like a great Idea, however, I think either my dishwasher must run hotter than yours or that dannon container is made from a better plastic. Last week I put a cleaned out Jiff peanut butter jar in the dishwasher to use to keep my clad in, and it melted to the bottom rack. Was not pretty. My wife nearly killed me. I think I am going to try this, but I will probably use a tupperware container and keep it on the top rack. I hope it works, and thanks for the idea.

if this works in my dishwasher then it is by far the best way to clean coins! and I can even clean older ones in ther too!

Looks like a great Idea, however, I think either my dishwasher must run hotter than yours or that dannon container is made from a better plastic. Last week I put a cleaned out Jiff peanut butter jar in the dishwasher to use to keep my clad in, and it melted to the bottom rack. Was not pretty. My wife nearly killed me. I think I am going to try this, but I will probably use a tupperware container and keep it on the top rack. I hope it works, and thanks for the idea.

In most cases you can turn off the dry feature on dishwasher. I have no need for dry coins, as I am not eating off them.

if this works in my dishwasher then it is by far the best way to clean coins! and I can even clean older ones in ther too!

Be very careful with older coins. You do not want them to hit each other. Also those of you that have hard water, like NH, Vt, upstate ny, rinse anything that might have value in clean water. You do not want deposits on coin. I also have this in a regulat yougurt container for single valuble coins, I will post pictures.

Back
Top Bottom