ideas on a new design - advice needed!

davidclayton

complete newbie here, i know nothing about metal detectors. i hope i came to the right place :tumble:
i have a couple of questions that i would love answers to, and would appreciate any advice you could give me:

1. most of the detectors i have seen have coils with fairly large diameters, and the direction of use is pointed so that the coil is parallel with the ground. For example:
SSHOOT2.jpg

does the diameter have to be large, and does it work if the metal object is perpendicular to the coil?

2. The most common material used for coil housings is plastic. Are there any tougher materials that allow the magetic field to pass though? - for example: Graphite, ceramic, etc.

My idea was this.. to build a metal detector using a very tight coil wrapped all the way down inside a large marker like this:
molotow_marker_640pp%20black%201.jpg

Would it work if the coil diameter was this small? and would it only detect from the end of the marker, or would it detect perpendicular to the shaft of the marker aswell?

complete newbie here, i know nothing about metal detectors. i hope i came to the right place :tumble:
i have a couple of questions that i would love answers to, and would appreciate any advice you could give me:

1. most of the detectors i have seen have coils with fairly large diameters, and the direction of use is pointed so that the coil is parallel with the ground. For example:

does the diameter have to be large, and does it work if the metal object is perpendicular to the coil?
the larger the diameter, the deeper the detecting ability. Coins on edge may or may not be picked up, and if they are, their signals are weaker and may be one directional.

2. The most common material used for coil housings is plastic. Are there any tougher materials that allow the magetic field to pass though? - for example: Graphite, ceramic, etc.
The field will pass through anything non-conductive.

My idea was this.. to build a metal detector using a very tight coil wrapped all the way down inside a large marker like this:

Would it work if the coil diameter was this small? and would it only detect from the end of the marker, or would it detect perpendicular to the shaft of the marker aswell?
If that marker is metal, it won't work, a piece of PVC pipe would be better, and it would depend on how the coil was wound as to which angle it would pick things up from. Check out Sun Ray inline probes for a small coil similar to your idea. www.sunraydetector.com

I'm not being silly but if you ever figure out how to calculate the number of turns and gauge of wire needed for the RX and TX coils to make a little coil like that I would be interested. It can be done, Sunray did it. I could make the coil but don't know the math. The coil would be good to 4" max at best. Rob

There were a few probe type coils in the 80's though the only one I can think of at the moment is the Garrett Sharp Shooter which was 3/4" diameter.

If they patented the design there should be all the information you need.

Back
Top Bottom