1st Silver - Almost Didn't Dig It!

AirmetTango

Forum Supporter
I've only been getting out for very short, sporadic hunts lately with the kids and wife off for the summer, and Saturday was no exception. I had about an hour to detect, but I didn't have any good permissions lined up, so I decided to head back to an interesting park nearby that I've been to a couple times. It's big enough and I'm slow enough that I haven't come close to detecting the whole area yet, and I've dug sufficient goodies to tell me the park hasn't been thoroughly hunted out yet (this is the same park where I found the Vietnam era dog tags several weeks back along with a few Wheats).

About a half hour into the hunt, I had a couple Zincolns and some of the trash shown in the full hunt pic. But then I came across an area that had a somewhat scattered surface spill, which netted me the 2 quarters and 1 dime grouped at the top of the hunt pic. The 3 coins were scattered in an area just a little more than 2 ft square and barely under the surface. I've noticed the Ace 400 seems to get a little confused or overwhelmed with strong, surface targets, picking up "ghost" signals a short distance from the actual target, etc, but I soon had the 3 coins in hand.

Continuing to hit the immediate area hoping for more spillage, I decided to dig what looked like a possible nickel signal showing 2-4" down, and ended up with one of the pieces of trash in the pic.

Right after that minor disappointment came an very iffy signal - sometimes it rang around 84, sometimes only around 76-77. No real consistency - in fact, in one direction I had trouble duplicating the signal at all, and got at least one hit in the 40s that direction. I activated the "Iron Audio" feature on the Ace (which I apparently don't really know how to properly interpret) and got some grunts which made me think "trash". But the target was showing 6" down - knowing I was finding Wheats in the 4" range on previous visits, I was reluctant to disregard the signal. In the end, it was the depth that finally sold me on digging the target - and I'm so glad I did! After some brief digging under the plug, I was rewarded with the obvious shine of silver - a 1946 Rosie in nice looking shape! I'm amazed at how clean they look compared to all the scraggly looking clad dimes I'm used to digging - even a noob like me knew instantly that I had silver! I don't think it was actually 6" down - I think more like 4.5 or 5" max. Anyways, I'm super excited to finally break the silver barrier, but now also very paranoid that I probably skipped some silver on my hunts!! If the signal had only shown 4", I very likely would have skipped it because of the "trashy" sound.

To round out the hunt, not more than a couple feet away, I found the 1952D Wheat at the "standard" 4 inch depth.

All in all, a nice little hunt, with a great find-to-trash ratio :grin: I'm looking forward to going back - and probably revisiting some of my skipped signals [emoji38]

Rosie by the hole:

8f853a0b52058f5493f447220d3bbf84.jpg

1732d4ae46a824a2f8c524bee0b0c868.jpg

Full hunt:

571868b14de7a48659656fc358df9b83.jpg

Close ups:

e1cb7d2a4126cdd9d8d589433e138512.jpg

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Congratulations on your first silver you will always remember that. And dig it all.

Silver in the hole is just amazing. When you see the dirt fall off and know instantly you have TREASURE, it makes you forget about all the trash.

Back
Top Bottom