Remember that enlistment bonus we gave you for serving our country...Ah yeah, we're kinda gonna need that back now...

never a mention of the people who get food stamps and welfare. they should give money back before the heroes that fight for our freedom. sorry to those who get butthurt. i can keep going but i will stop.

...the heroes that fight for our freedom....

Pretty much what the issue is all about. It was supposedly a "disbursement mistake" where some got paid the bonus that shouldn't have, and also the forging of information by officials to qualify them for the bonus. It had nothing to do with the soldiers...hold those for the corruption accountable, and forget the rest. They deserve it, they don't deserve this #%*+!

Pretty much what the issue is all about. It was supposedly a "disbursement mistake" where some got paid the bonus that shouldn't have, and also the forging of information by officials to qualify them for the bonus. It had nothing to do with the soldiers...hold those for the corruption accountable, and forget the rest. They deserve it, they don't deserve this #%*+!

i consider the bonus as giving the soldiers almost minimum wage.

never a mention of the people who get food stamps and welfare. they should give money back before the heroes that fight for our freedom. sorry to those who get butthurt. i can keep going but i will stop.

Amen brother , they would probably collect back more money from the welfare crooks . The soldiers deserved it , the welfare bums are just that , bums . Now , there are people that use the welfare system , and only use it for the intended purpose , so I am not talking about the legitimate users .

Now that it's hit the news, I'm sure congress will pass a bill to forgive the debts, it has bipartisan support. One of those cases where the law requires the military to claw back benefits if found to be mistakenly given. Apparently those who approved the payments are being punished.

Next political post and this thread vanishes.

Politics is not allowed on Friendly.

I never did get any bonus. I did get a free trip to Hawaii. Of course on our way to Vietnam they wouldn't let us out of the terminal while the plane refueled.

Whatever kind of bonus they gave it was certainly not enough. I've got nothing but respect for someone who decides to enlist knowing full well what they are getting in to.

Well, I think all the Veterans SHOULD pay it back! With interest! Thats MY money! Look at all the benefits they already got! Meeting new people, 3 hots and a cot, the best medical care available, education, getting in shape, traveling all over the World sometimes...learning cool skills like semaphore and orienteering, and pinging out an SOS on the telegraph, career advancement potential, snappy outfit, marching and chanting, smoking if you got 'em!

Heck, my Father In Law got all sorts of free Air travel when he was in the Military, As a Waist gunner on a B-17, He got to camp out in England and see all sorts of Germany for free! Had a window seat even! Got to rattle off free 50cal rounds at 30,000 feet at Messerschmidts! Then he came back and got to hang around the VFW. Drinking and playing cards for the rest of his life! Thats pretty good for an Ohio Farmboy!

Us poor US Factory workers get Nothing! We dont get a 'sign on bonus'...Hell you are lucky if the Company hands out a freezer burnt turkey for Thanksgiving or a Ham for Christmas! Most of us Die at work or on the way to and from..Eddie Punchclock gets NO respect! No parades or medals or nothing! Plus, we get our pay 'clawed back' all the time! Its called a '401k'.

Not everybody can be Alvin York, 'gobblegobble gobble my @ss!...Somebodies gotta make stuff!.....After 20yrs in a factory I tried to enlist just so I could have an easy life...They wouldnt take me though, said I was classified as being 'dict in the noggin' or something...Well yeah! I shoulda taken the easy life and enlisted right out of High school!

Somedays I'd sure like to rattle off some free 50cal rounds at some Messerschmidts just once, and by that I mean the Bosses Mercedes Benz with him in it!:laughing::laughing: I think thats what I told the recruiter when he asked why I wanted to join...shoulda said, "to serve my Country" right?...

Maybe I should of tried to get into the Navy...Like the famous war hero John Kerry? He turned out Ok, I think he won the Preakness one year even? ...The Navy will take about anybody right? They took JFK and he had a bad back and managed to get his skiff runt the hell over out in the middle of an Ocean and STILL was proclaimed a hero! The only boat he managed to sink was His! He saw a lot of action though, afterwards that is, with the Ladies..

If you cant make the Navy, maybe the Coast Guard then? I like boats...I'm pretty sure I can sink my own if I tried hard enough, and swim to shore, with a bad back, towing a beer cooler with my teeth!...In that situation, what are the options anyway? Aint no ticker tape parade for Eddie Punchclock or Johnnie Lunchbox...just years of indentured servitude, plus, a guy has to go home everynight to the Family...
Mud

Last edited:
Mud , I do believe you would have fit in very well in McHale's Navy . :laughing:

How about McMud's Navy ? :laughing::laughing::laughing:

mchalesnavypw.jpg

I remember Ernest Borgnine collected stamps and was trying to get others to do so on commercials back in the 70's as a form of investment......Anybody that collects stamps is 'anal retentive'...Stamps? Sheesh!

I built a boat once based upon a scaled down PT underhull concept, without the torpedo tubes or high power requirements or Govt contract...It is a great big water and brown water runner though....probably had something to do with those McHales Navy scenes from my youth...
Mud

Attachments

• extended running.jpg
    extended running.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 163
  • river boat1.jpg
    river boat1.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 169
  • salmon sept.jpg
    salmon sept.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 167
Unfortunately this isn't the 1st time the Govt has given it to those that answered the call. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonus_Army

My Dad was in the Army from 65-68 and I was intent on joining the Army early on in HS but my eyes opened up to see that it's always a rich man's war & a poor man's fight.

How many suffered from the effects of Agent Orange, Gulf War Syndrome...etc... that the govt declared as all made up and refused to help our Veterans.

To those that currently serve & to those that have served I Salute You & Thank you for keeping our country safe!

Back
Top Bottom