Have you ever met anyone famous in public?

30U Plymouth

Elite Member
I just got in from an out of town business meeting and as I was setting on the plane I looked over and there stands a celebrity right next to me.
Turns out that the stewardess standing next to me is Miss Missouri USA (2017):wow:

So I was wondering, have you ever had an opportunity to meet a celebrity while in a public location?
If so, who and where did this happen?
Also would like to see pictures if you have them;)

Last edited:
I have seen celebrities in public but have zero interest in talking to them.

First and foremost, I am sure that most of them would rather go unnoticed and spend some time as a normal person and go about their business without disruption.

Secondly, I know most of the country is celebrity crazed and would do anything to talk to/take picture with/take selfie of with celebrity behind them - but, I don't fall into that category.

I never thought it worth while to place people on a pedestal because they are good at pretending to be other people by reading line written by someone else, or because they can throw a football, etc.

When I lived in the Detroit area one of my first real jobs in the early 70's was as an usher at a popular movie complex.
Two Detroit Lions came in once and I told one of them to stop putting his foot up on the seat in front of him.
He just laughed and said ok...he could have thrown me through the screen from the middle row if he wanted to.
A couple of Pistons came in to a see a movie or two also.
Funny to watch people that need to duck that walk in through an almost 7' commercial door.

On another job in a department store I helped Gladys Knight do some Christmas shopping for her kids one time.
I asked "Where are your Pips?" and she laughed.
At the Tampa airport I saw some huge mountain of a guy getting bothered by a bunch of fans asking for autographs.
Don't know exactly who he was but he was a well known popular wrestler at the time.

I saw the old man, Big Hoss and a few of the others from Pawn Stars show at the Vegas airport when we were flying out...didn't talk to them though.

In the suburbs of Birmingham I had a retail store and dealt with a lot of local celebrities over the years.
I met a lot of the local tv news anchors, one was cool but a bit stuck up and the rest were very friendly and extremely nice.

Two customers came in that I just had to get pictures and autographs from.
One was Vonetta Flowers, a talented long jumper and sprinter from the local college who tried out for the Olympics several times but as close as she was never made it on the team.
At one tryout she saw a flyer about the woman's bobsled team needing members so she said what the heck and tried out.
She made the team and won the gold medal in the two women sled competition in 2002 with relatively little experience...but she sure knew how to run.

The best thing that happened was one of my all time since I was a kid idol/hero's wife was one of my long time customers...Cherry Starr.
This lady is one of the absolute sweetest, nicest human beings on the planet, by the way.
Bart never came into my store for years but one day I noticed they were parked in front of another store in my strip center buying birdseed, lots of it because they had tons of bird feeders all over their property.
Bart was there standing outside the store so I screwed up my courage to walk over to talk to him.
I said hello to his wife and introduced myself to him, I rarely get nervous doing anything or meeting anyone in life but I sure was that time, I guess when you meet your heros that usually happens.
I told him I have been a huge fan of his since the NFL championship Ice Bowl game in 1967.
It was the first complete football game I had watched in my life and after that I became a big Green Bay fan and a fan of his ever since.
He was super humble and nice just like his wife, sincerely thanked me for what I just told him and asked if I wanted a signed picture.
I said sure and he promised to send me one in the mail.
A few days later I got an 8X10 with an autograph and a personal little note to me.
Now it is one of the most cherished things I own...always will be.

Last edited:
My wife saw tango from the ghost hunters down state west Virginia. They were in the same hotel she was in.

I saw Gene Simmons in a bar in Toronto when he was filming a movie. Also saw Chandler from Friends at a wedding reception in a fancy hotel. Also in Toronto... Kinda weird.....:?:

I'm usually the famous one! And no I don't do autographs. ..well except for a couple guys but that's it.

When I lived in the Detroit area one of my first real jobs in the early 70's was as an usher at a popular movie complex.
Two Detroit Lions came in once and I told one of them to stop putting his foot up on the seat in front of him.
He just laughed and said ok...he could have thrown me through the screen from the middle row if he wanted to.
A couple of Pistons came in to a see a movie or two also.
Funny to watch people that need to duck that walk in through an almost 7' commercial door.

On another job in a department store I helped Gladys Knight do some Christmas shopping for her kids one time.
I asked "Where are your Pips?" and she laughed.
At the Tampa airport I saw some huge mountain of a guy getting bothered by a bunch of fans asking for autographs.
Don't know exactly who he was but he was a well known popular wrestler at the time.

I saw the old man, Big Hoss and a few of the others from Pawn Stars show at the Vegas airport when we were flying out...didn't talk to them though.

In the suburbs of Birmingham I had a retail store and dealt with a lot of local celebrities over the years.
I met a lot of the local tv news anchors, one was cool but a bit stuck up and the rest were very friendly and extremely nice.

Two customers came in that I just had to get pictures and autographs from.
One was Vonetta Flowers, a talented long jumper and sprinter from the local college who tried out for the Olympics several times but as close as she was never made it on the team.
At one tryout she saw a flyer about the woman's bobsled team needing members so she said what the heck and tried out.
She made the team and won the gold medal in the two women sled competition in 2002 with relatively little experience...but she sure knew how to run.

The best thing that happened was one of my all time since I was a kid idol/hero's wife was one of my long time customers...Cherry Starr.
This lady is one of the absolute sweetest, nicest human beings on the planet, by the way.
Bart never came into my store for years but one day I noticed they were parked in front of another store in my strip center buying birdseed, lots of it because they had tons of bird feeders all over their property.
Bart was there standing outside the store so I screwed up my courage to walk over to talk to him.
I said hello to his wife and introduced myself to him, I rarely get nervous doing anything or meeting anyone in life but I sure was that time, I guess when you meet your heros that usually happens.
I told him I have been a huge fan of his since the NFL championship Ice Bowl game in 1967.
It was the first complete football game I had watched in my life and after that I became a big Green Bay fan and a fan of his ever since.
He was super humble and nice just like his wife, sincerely thanked me for what I just told him and asked if I wanted a signed picture.
I said sure and he promised to send me one in the mail.
A few days later I got an 8X10 with an autograph and a personal little note to me.
Now it is one of the most cherished things I own...always will be.

Meeting Bart Star was cool . The 1st book I ever read , you know , books with chapters , was a biography of Bart Starr . I've always been a Green Bay fan . Other than that , I've met Ric Flair . Met a few of the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders in the mid 80s , met Robert Conrad ,was real close to meeting Bob Hope , Brooke Shields , a few Nascar drivers , but I'm really not into those celebrities . I'm not going to go out of my way to meet them . I always wanted to meet some celebrity giving out autographs , and give them mine and tell them I'm the reason they're famous , :laughing: , then buy'em a beer .

I once was forced to stay in a motel in Pittsburgh because none of the flight crew showed up to fly me to my destination. I was in the same motel that the Washington Redskins were staying and I passed by a few of them. The next morning I went to the airport to fly home and Lynn Swann was at the airport.

Also, when I was about 10 years old, my brother and I was playing at a playground with a couple of friends and a CH-43 helicopter was flying overhead and it was somewhat low to the ground. The side door was open and there was a guy standing there waiving to us. That guy was President Ford

When we were in Italy two years ago, we met Dennis Quaid shopping in a local market.
He was a pretty cool guy.

In the early 80s, I was the manager of a large store that had a cafe. Next to our store was a Holiday Inn. One early morning, I was in the cafe doing paperwork and having coffee and in walks Johnny Cash! I was not a big fan of the Man In Black but, I immediately recognized him. He first spoke and said good morning. I returned the greeting and went back to my work. He had gotten coffee and sat in a booth about 15 feet from me. He then invited me over to talk. He was staying at the Inn that previous night after a show. I had no idea. Anyway, we talked for about 20 minutes asking me about the area and my business and me asking him of his. A very kind warm gentleman he was. He finished his coffee, we shook hands and he left. The only famous person I've ever seen!

In the early 80s, I was the manager of a large store that had a cafe. Next to our store was a Holiday Inn. One early morning, I was in the cafe doing paperwork and having coffee and in walks Johnny Cash! I was not a big fan of the Man In Black but, I immediately recognized him. He first spoke and said good morning. I returned the greeting and went back to my work. He had gotten coffee and sat in a booth about 15 feet from me. He then invited me over to talk. He was staying at the Inn that previous night after a show. I had no idea. Anyway, we talked for about 20 minutes asking me about the area and my business and me asking him of his. A very kind warm gentleman he was. He finished his coffee, we shook hands and he left. The only famous person I've ever seen!

Thats a cool encounter also .

Pamela Anderson, for a few minutes, standing next to me as she talked to one of her directors.......

Oh yea....
Back in the 70's I was standing in a liquor store line waiting to pay for whatever and I looked back in line for a second and noticed a tiny red haired chick that looked strangely familiar.
Couldn't place her at first but eventually it came to me...
It was Bonnie Raitt that happens to be in town doing a concert that weekend.
Only 5'4" but a lot of talent packed into that little package.

Met Dan Aykroyd at bottle vodka bottle signing but that was more of a public event he put on so really doesn't count. My Grandmother on the other hand was on vacation somewhere back in the 60's and was going through a hotel door and Jackie Gleason held the door for her. I don't think I could count how many times she told that story.

When I was playing in bands I met a few rising, and falling, famous people.

Lzzy Hale from Halestorm

menlzzy2.jpg

Hanging out with Head East.

headeast1.jpg

I met Al Franken several years ago, before he became a Senator. Very nice and funny guy.

Back
Top Bottom