right epoxy for xterra/kydex repair?

Scott in Wy

So I broke the ear on my minelab coil, I'm going to do the kydex fix that I saw here.
I have JBWeld, but is there a better epoxy for this specific use?

Thanks in advance
Scott

JB Weld is the best, just make sure it isn't their newer quick-cure stuff. Be sure to clean all surfaces with acetone after scuffing them up to provide a better adherent surface.

One of my friends had a broken ear to but he lost the broken off ear. I talked to my neighbor who owns a body shop and asked him what he would use. He said panel bonding adhesive and gave me the remainder of a tube. Its still a two part adhesive like epoxy but it is used to bond the structual body parts of cars together. I cut out some plastic to make a replacement ear then made a 90 degree piece that went form the coil up the back side of the ear. I sanded and cleaned all pieces and glued them. Wow that stuff is tough and it worked great. I'm not to sure how small of tubes you can buy it in and it is a bit expensive but nothing is as tough in my eyes. It is not brittle when cured so it won't crack also. We did have to get a longer screw for the coil because the new ear was a bit thicker but most hardware stores carry nylon bolts. GL hope you get it fixed!

JB Weld is the best !

Just remember to mix it right and give it time to cure . ALSO fully scuff or ruff up the areas that you plan to stick together cause it the best way to work with any epoxies . Good Luck ( you shouldn't need it )
Woodstock

Thanks for the replies.
I'm still waiting on the kydex, hopefully I'll get it done in time for the weekend. I have been running the 6" coil so I'm not sitting on the sidelines. What I don't get is, the ears on the 6" are 1/4" thick while on the 9" they are 1/8":?:

Oh well...my 6" did help me pull 2 mercs from the yard Friday evening:D
'23 no mint and a '25 no mint

Scott

Back
Top Bottom